Buying a 3rd gen, what year is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious how the V6 Ecoboost tows 5000-6000 lbs? Does it do as good as the V8?

Should do better. More power and torque.

We love our 2012 but it will likely be the last one we own with the V8.
@rollinstone ,completed agreed with @sjwelds . Many We Americans have a stigma against V6's, but with twin turbos that don't have the lag of eons ago, an EB vs V8 Gen 3 is lighter, has more HP, more torque, AND has a much much flatter power curves than the V8. You get most of your torque from ~1500 RPM all the way up past 5K RPM. INCREDIBLE difference for me going from one to the other.

You lose some cool factor on engine and exhaust sound, but it's am impressive package if/ when you get past it.

I also found the trans programming to be hugely improved on my 2017, but I was going from an 08 so maybe they figured it out in between. The 08 was maddening to try and keep it from screaming RPMs when going up hills and just do the damn upshift - it had the power. Anyway, that was years ago...

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Main difference as everyone noted is between the 5.4L v8 and 3.5L v6 twin turbo as well as exterior styling. Some items I'd like to point out:

- If you go with the 5.4L, I'd recommend only looking at probably 2012 - 2014 models as they would have all the latest updates that were very problematic in older engines. Most notably redesigned heads so spark plugs don't break and updated cam phasers. I'm not sure exactly what years those changes took place but Ford was done with the 5.4L in the F150 as of 2012.

- The 3.5L twin turbo v6 has great power and better efficiency, however it still has (some) cam phaser issues and is direct injected only in the 3rd gen Expeditions, of which I'm not a fan.

- Both models have the very good 6r80 6-speed transmission.

Tom Tulloch

Reaction score
2014GreyFord - Since I own a 2017 Expedition Limited and this being my first Ford in my adult life and first ever turbo, I'd be interested in more details on your comment about some treating their EcoBoost engines "like they were naturally aspirated". What would your recommendations be for maintenance and/or driving style with these engines and why?

MidnightBruce

Reaction score
I have owned my 2016 XLT EL for 4 years and 50k miles (currently 95k) and we love it, however here are some things that I have noted.

I did drill the 1/64” hole in the cold side lowest point of the intercooler to help weep moisture build up and I never get any issues when mashing the throttle (no boost leak issues). I do get the EB cold start rattle when it gets below 45* and sits overnight. Did a filter and fluid drain on the trans at 60k and a S&B panel filter in the intake. Spark plugs at 60k also and gapped to 0.028. that made a difference. Greased the slip joint on the driveshaft. The A/C in the rear never gets cold enough during the summer, but that could be the system needs to be vacuumed and recharged. Just updated the brakes using the full power stop front and rear slotted/drilled rotors with the extreme pads and 2 new front calipers (I ripped a piston boot on the old ones and 1 had a seized slide). Stops like a dream! Huge difference as I had no faith in repeat hard stops with the old brakes. 0 fade with this kit (under $600 on Amazon). Upgraded to 2021 F150 sport rims 20x8.5 275/60/20 and it looks and rides the best it ever has. This also has the tow package with 3.73 gears and I would never have anything less. Holeshot is amazing with this tank!

Outside of those basic things, it's my wife's car and it's been very reliable. I trust my entire family in this beast! 3.5 EB has been my fave motor. Had a 08' F150 with 5.4 and that was also a great motor. So either way you can't go wrong.PXL_20230211_235930581.jpg

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2014GreyFord - Since I own a 2017 Expedition Limited and this being my first Ford in my adult life and first ever turbo, I'd be interested in more details on your comment about some treating their EcoBoost engines "like they were naturally aspirated". What would your recommendations be for maintenance and/or driving style with these engines and why?

I haven't owned an Ecoboost but have owned at least 3 other turbocharged engines. The main thing is that turbos are much harder on engine oil with higher temperatures and contaminates so I would only use full synthetic and a max 5k mile interval. Other things would be:

- stay out of boost until the oil reaches full operating temperature
- before shutting off the engine do a "cool down," if it was driven hard
- I'm not sure what octane Ford recommends for the EB, but in general turbo engines love higher octanes, if not specifically require it
- spark plugs wear out much faster and it's much more sensitive to plug quality, gap, type, etc.
- turbos suck in a LOT more air so replace the intake filter often
- One more thing for the early EB engines specifically, I believe are all Direct Injected, which means potential carbon buildup issues. I haven't put much research into it but if I owned one my inclination would be to install a water/methanol injection system for multiple benefits, one of which being a clean(er) intake manifold.

Other than that enjoy the excellent powerband and better fuel economy! If you don't mind the extra care, turbos are great.

Last edited:

2014greyford665

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a bit on what exactly that means? Not trying to be pedantic, just asking as the owner of a 2017 Ltd with an EB engine and would like to ensure that I do not inadvertently fall into that category.
Simply, Turbocharged-engine cars should be treated a little differently than naturally aspirated {change the oil a little early, try to have a colder foot on them, never turn them off immediately after a long ride (to cool the turbos)....etc}

2014greyford665

Reaction score
Found some sources that may guide you:

https://turboturbos.com/blogs/news/how-to-make-your-turbocharger-last-longer
I have a’17 4WD. I’ve never seen anything about operating turbo‘d engine cars differently than NA ones but can believe you should. Where can I learn more about best practices for turbo cars?

BigTex68

Reaction score
New Expedition owner here, daily driver is a 2000 F250. Your budget will control to a large degree which years you have to choose from. Big price jumps as you move into the mid-teens and newer. Not wanting to spend over $5k for a 4th vehicle that would be used sparingly to tow, I found a 2010 Limited EL in the "sparkly black" color (I'm sure ford didn't call it that) with chrome wheels, a clean leather interior, and 200k miles. Every switch, button, and handle work. The 5.4 runs like a dream and idles so smooth I have to look at the tach to be sure its on. 18 on the highway, 14 in town on 87 octane, with the option of E85 if you choose. I drove several other Expeditions and Navigators in the search, and I can say they all drove well for the most part. Some just were a little rougher around the edges. The only thing I feel needs to be replaced is the steering gearbox, as I do have about 4-6 degrees of play in my steering center at highway speeds. Causes some uneasiness at times. I would just tighten the steering gearbox adjustment screw, but it doesn't have one. Older Expeditions do. I'll just install a new steering gearbox, about a $300 part. My F250, with 250k, has not yet developed this issue, so YMMV. This Expedition was serviced with synthetic oil every 3k and had service records. I think I can easily get another 100K out of her! The guy at the carwash thought it was new, and I just ordered a 10" android touchscreen for it with wireless Car Play & Android Auto. I'm looking forward to many more years of enjoyment! If your budget is under $10k, look at 2009-2012. You should find lots of interesting options!

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good find! Mine is a 2014 LTD with full tow package. Coming up on 76k. Love how it tows. Sparkly grey… One of the selling points was the automatic 3rd row fold down seats.

BigTex68

Reaction score
As a pinball collector, the EL really impressed me with how much it could hold. Turns out if you fold down both back rows, you can fit two in the rear and a third sideways over the 2nd row. Considering the Escalade can't even hold one unless you turn it on its side (not enough height clearance), that's a very impressive feat!