Buying Used; How do I know if it has a WDH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audiodane

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Please go easy on me, I'm quite new to this. We're about to move up to an expedition el from an odyssey so that we can get a camper.. I have figured out enough to look up the VIN to ensure the one we buy has the HD Tow Package...

But I am really struggling with the WDH bit. Is this is factory option that I would see in the VIN-lookup factory install options? Looking at VIN information I can't find anything other than whether or not it has the HD Tow Package. Is this always an aftermarket installation?

I don't want to spend a bunch on a quality used expedition el and then have to turn around and spend another $800+ on a WDH if I end up needing one. (We have not yet selected our camper; we plan to rent a few and try them out before deciding. But we need a tow vehicle first...) So I'm trying to learn what I can about WDH's but am struggling to find a resource for newbies like myself...

Any guidance or pointing me into the right direction here would be vastly appreciated.

EDIT: Okay some more searching and I was led to eTrailers; I plugged in a 2012 (random year) expedition and it led me to this WDH.. (model EQ37100ET; I can't post a link) ... I was under the impression that this was a frame-installed thing. I didn't know it was just a special kind of hitch. But, it is still over $500! I guess that'll just depend on the camper we get... ?

Thanks in advance..
..dane

Last edited:

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like you figured that part out. When you get your camper work the WDH into the deal. Don't settle for the minimum needed for the camper you buy. You can transfer it to any new camper you get as you upgrade.

OP
OP
A

audiodane

Reaction score
@shane_th_ee We don't have one yet, and will in all likelihood get a popup... Now that I better understand what a WDH is, I'll likely wait and see...

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@shane_th_ee We don't have one yet, and will in all likelihood get a popup... Now that I better understand what a WDH is, I'll likely wait and see...

An Expedition with the tow package can take up to 600 lbs on the hitch. If you are only getting a popup the truck won't even know it's there. I tow a 5000 lb boat with no issues. You won't need a WDH.

OP
OP
A

audiodane

Reaction score
@John Christopher so there are some popups that push close to 4500lbs loaded ... add 1000lbs of people, luggage, and gas in the vehicle and we're getting close to the 6000lb tow limit. But I agree with you, I'll wait on a WDH until I feel the need to invest in one..

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're buying/considering a used trailer it's also a good idea to wait as a WDH is often included w/ the trailer, especially if buying from a dealer.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get an equalizer E4 WDH(they have sway control built in) and a Prodigy Brake controller.

Don't skimp on safety. Why spend all that money on your new SUV and camper, to be a tight ass on safety? I have both the E4 and brake controller and.it helps tow like a dream!

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get a pop up there is no point to a WDH. Need a brake controller though.