Bypass oil filter installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion concerning why I should or should not go to bypass oil filtration. However, my mind on that point is already clear. What I need is some of your collective Expedition knowledge on WHERE I could locate the 4 X 6 mangold and two filters (one bypass - about 6 inches long - and the other a full flow, but now located in a more user friendly place. About four inches long.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion concerning why I should or should not go to bypass oil filtration. However, my mind on that point is already clear. What I need is some of your collective Expedition knowledge on WHERE I could locate the 4 X 6 mangold and two filters (one bypass - about 6 inches long - and the other a full flow, but now located in a more user friendly place. About four inches long.
Yea you will need 5 or 6 heavy duty filters and change oil every thousand miles to keep on top on that monster...........lol

Brit

Reaction score
Does adding the catch can void any warranty still in effect?

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
I’m going to dealer tomorrow to determine that question WRT both the catch can and the bypass manifold.

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
I put the catch cans between the grill and the right side of the radiator. Perfect.

still looking for input on how to mount the bypass filter manifold. Anyone? I have had others say mount it between frame rails, but I’m concerned with clearance issues to the ground. Thoughts?

OP
OP
L

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs, folks. I’m thinking the bypass is out - not because I don’t believe it will be good for my engine, but because there is simply no place to put it in the engine room of a 17 Expi!

I am having a very tough time finding room for the two can RXP collection can. Settled on behind the grill, to the side (passenger) of the radiator.

a further question - why does my dipstick come out covered in oil from top to bottom? Is there no dipstick tube inside the crankcase? How do you folks check oil levels at filling stations? Must I wait for the oil to settle and cool before checking level?

a second troubling issue here will relate to how I CHANGE oil - I use an extractor by putting a rigid wall tube down the dipstick tube and sucking the oil out with extraction pump. This task is much more challenging with no internal dipstick tube to the bottom of the pan.

well, maybe one more question - my Expi is a 2017 King Ranch - am I second or third gen? If third, is there really no need for the catch can?

thanks!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Hey, don’t complain, I’ve heard that some dealers gave out shorter dip sticks to people who complained about high oil consumption. :driver:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK