Bypassing the Heater Core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I most likely have a failing heater core up front. Light coolant smell from vents, goes away after a bit them as you drive every so often it will have that **** of coolant smell from the vents. (heater on of coarse) So being old school thought maybe at least for now I could cut the supply and return hose and bypass the heater core for now. I figure winter is about over and well I can put off the repair until early fall. Figured if the dash has to be all torn out might as well replace the hoses, the core, the flapper and a few other things while its apart to save from doing that again for another 10+ years and the double din stereo can be dealt with as well, clean up the dash and vents real well before its assembled, install the wiring and switches for the fans and lights and well be done all at once.

So any known issues with bypassing a heater core on a 1999 Expedition aside from no heat?

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would disconnect the heater lines rather then cut them. They are very expensive to replace and they have quick disconnect ends on them so all you need is a special tool and they should come right off.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do yourself a favor. if you remove the quick connects, go ahead and get rid of them like I did. just cut as close to the plastic as you can and use a screw on type clamp and face the screw towards the throttle body. it makes removal in the future that much easier and you will have to cut the ends off anyhow to use a coupler to bypass it..

Kevin Meis

Reaction score
I have the "heat is always on" problem and was wondering if I could just put a valve inline with the supply to the heater core and only open it in the winter. Any one foresee any problems in doing that?