Caliper Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groover

Reaction score
Hi, ordering the parts and preparing to replace my front pads and rotors.

Looking at the workshop manual, the instructions for replacing the rotors state to reinstall the brake caliper anchor plate with "two new bolts". That would be W714743.

Any ideas why new bolts are needed?

Thanks!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The Ford bolts have a dab of Locktite goo on them. That's probably why they specify new bolts. Their torque spec isn't very tight so their instruction can't be because of stretching. I've reused the old bolts with new blue Locktite torqued to the specification for forty years.

If anyone feel differently, I'd love to learn...

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On that bolt its because of the lock tight. Some bolts are threaded all the way from top to bottom and are stretch bolts and would need to be replaced. Those type are mostly engine bolts like head bolts.

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Thanks I went with reusing the bolts and applying blue thread locker.

Local reliable indy quoted me $630+tax with Motorcraft parts (I am assuming standard duty pads).

I bought Motorcraft parts from my local dealer for $266+tax and that is for severe duty pads. First time doing brakes on a vehicle and it took me four hours total to do the fronts and that was with a lot of breaks to cool down. Also I had to work out how to get the rotors off as they were rusted on. In the end I pressed them off from behind by using a bolts, nuts and washers through the holes in the knuckle.

Rock Auto had cheaper parts but a very high shipping cost making the dealer cheaper.

Saved $364 and I'm sure a professional could do it far quicker than me.

Last edited:

paulmaximul

Reaction score
Hey there! Sorry for jumping in on an old thread, but I'm also prepping to replace my front pads and rotors. I found some bolts and fasteners on scrooz.com.au that might work for your caliper anchor plate. They have a good range of products and their prices are reasonable.
As for why new bolts are needed, it's possible that the old ones may have stretched or weakened over time, and using new bolts will ensure proper tightening and prevent any potential issues with the brakes down the line.
Hope this helps, and good luck with the replacement!

Last edited: