Cam Phaser engine damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly what Hamfisted said sounds correct

Make me wonder why the 3.5 ** in the Ford Gt runs higher viscosity. I get it, they are LeMans winning are race cars with 9.5 quart capacity. But I wonder if the 10W30 Mobil 1 is sufficient for 100+ degrees in TX.
https://oilincar.com/ford/gt/s_2-2017-.php
I can't seem to find anything regarding the oilincar website and randomly checked several of the recommendations against my owner's manuals. Most viscosities they recommend are different.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dealer had mine for 9 days with the parts on hand prior to dropping off (that was a 2 month wait).
I picked it up yesterday and its going back in again tonight for what I think is the waste gate rattle.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
I just got a service bulletin/recall for Cam Phasers on my new 2020 KR. The description said it was software only. Only ~3k miles on it so far. I wonder if they're shooting in the dark on this one.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did my software update at one point too while it was in for inspection, they didn't even tell me until I picked it back up. It did nothing for mine fwiw, hopefully it has a better effect on the 2020s. I just fail to see how a software update can fix a mechanical flaw.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything regarding the oilincar website and randomly checked several of the recommendations against my owner's manuals. Most viscosities they recommend are different.
I saw their chart showing oil spots labeled "good oil," "oil with impurities," etc, and they lost all credibility with me. Filled with bad grammar and misspellings too. Nonsense "content" to collect ad money.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, the cam-phaser recall isn't available yet (as of Jul 26, 2021). My 2018 Expedition (affected by the recall) was in for service today. The dealer told me Ford hasn't released the software for this recall yet so they cannot perform it. Just thought I'd share.

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
Has anyone had a good experience getting phasers done at a dealer in CT?

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had a good experience getting phasers done at a dealer in CT?
When I lived in Trumbull 3 years ago I also used the Ford dealer for engine stuff in Milford, CT. Great service and the mechanic that did the work would come up to you as you were leaving an explain everything to you. Can’t speak to cam phaser though have no clue.