Cam Phaser engine damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Delaney

Reaction score
I just took my 2018 FX4 in for the same issue. There is a Service Bulletin 21B10 on the topic. I was told they cannot perform the fix right now as it will then cause issue with the transmission. The current fix they where using was an update to the computer system. Ford is working on the fix, and just came up with one for the F150. I was told it will not damage the engine, so i am in a wait and see when the fix happens.

GenSuper

Reaction score
My cam phaser job also took two days. No argument from the dealer, it's recognized as a common problem.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just took my 2018 FX4 in for the same issue. There is a Service Bulletin 21B10 on the topic. I was told they cannot perform the fix right now as it will then cause issue with the transmission. The current fix they where using was an update to the computer system. Ford is working on the fix, and just came up with one for the F150. I was told it will not damage the engine, so i am in a wait and see when the fix happens.
@Artie I wonder if they tried to push the update on ours and that's why we're having transmission-ish issues.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Artie I wonder if they tried to push the update on ours and that's why we're having transmission-ish issues.
There was zero mention of it in the paperwork I got back from the service provider. I should scan it myself and see what shows up on my OBD fusion thing.

3DogRanch

Reaction score
I just got a service bulletin/recall for Cam Phasers on my new 2020 KR. The description said it was software only. Only ~3k miles on it so far. I wonder if they're shooting in the dark on this one.
I just got mine back from the dealer for a left front shock R&R under warranty. They told me that Ford Corporate is asking them to hold off on the Cam Phaser software update because they are finding that it causes software problems with the 10 speed transmission.

3DogRanch

Reaction score
I heard the same

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was zero mention of it in the paperwork I got back from the service provider. I should scan it myself and see what shows up on my OBD fusion thing.
I just talked to my dealer and they did not push any new software to mine when it was in. They did my cam phasers the last week of June, and the update didn't come out until 7/15, so that's not it.

In any case, I'm scheduled to drop it off next Thursday to figure it out.

pikuptruk

Reaction score
Hello, new to the group here. I was searching online for answers to this specific problem, when I came across this thread. I am curious, has anyone actually lost their liming chain to this issue or experienced worse problems down the road?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01