Cam Phaser Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually had to have the F150 spring fix done before they would replace my turbos at 9k miles, due to the loud rattle. Didn't do a thing to help.
Yep, all new turbos, and within 3 months, the rattling started right back.
Sad.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Expedition, just had Cam Phasers replaced for second time at about 75k miles.
The work order says they used qty 2 each:
ML3Z*6256*A Sprocket-Camshaft
ML3Z*6C525*A- Camshaft

When I did some quick research, it seemed these parts were called out for 2021 F150.
My last cam phaser replacement work order shows:

HL3Z*6256*CD
HL3Z*6C525*CD

Does anyone know anything about this part substitution?

N8RIDER

Reaction score
Folks on this thread hit the nail on the head.

Will outline my experience thus far with 2018 Max. Mirror homing software update right out the gate. Have had nothing but trouble with oil changes initally since paid extra to have nothing but full synthetic put in the vehicle but each year they always screwed it up and install the stock blend in it. Always made them remove and correct it. Last year got a copy of the servuce plan paperwork since service advisors messed up every year for four years.

Did the TSB for the software last year and that introduced the shutter issue. Went back in to have it reverted and have the address a noise from 40-25mph. The service advisor again did not take notes as the tech drove with the windows up every time and heard nothing. After a quick trip to ride with him, we reproduced the noise instantly. That turned out to be the front bearing. Less then 20k on my truck, guess they really did cheap out on the part. Have had the start up rattles, but its not terrible yet.

Fuel economy since the last software update dropped under 25 mpg and struggled to get 20 mpg now (premium fuel always). Any else have this problem since an update?

Aside from the flaws, the truck has been good overall. Wish they would go ahead and produce an excursion type of model on the F250 chasis already and put a V8 in it already and add twin screws to really put this trucknin a class of its own.

Good luck all, hope they get this 3.5 engine squared away, but think this might be my first and last Ford unfortunately.

ballgame1226

Reaction score
Which model year Expeditions come with the re-designed/new cam phasers built into the engines from the factory? Is there a way to lookup a particular vehicle by VIN to see if it has the new design phasers?

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The parts manager stated the appearance of the cam phaser replacement parts changed somewhat having what he described as a coil around August 2022.
In other discussions in this bulletin board comments are made that the engine heads design was modified.
Seems cam phaser have quieted down on the forum. I wish I knew more.