Cam Phasers or Turbo Wastegate Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got back my 2019 expedition for Cam Phaser repair along with #21B10 reprogram and 21N03 repair. Here is a list of campaign parts used to repair Cam Phaser repair.

Attachments

• 20211116_131744.jpg
    20211116_131744.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 44

Rossue

Reaction score
Took my 6/19 build XLT in for a battery issue and was reminded of the software "recall". Wan't going to do it based on reading here as I haven't had any problems fortunately, however the service advisor mentioned that if I did not do the software flash before a date in February I would not get the extended warranty from Ford for this issue- to 70K or the pro-rated charge thereafter for repairs. I let them do it.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Does anybody have a picture or instructions that could lead me to the wastegate actuator? I'd like to try this.
Here's a video showing the part of the turbo that causes the rattle.

Here's a video showing where it is on the vehicle.

S1N2W1N

Reaction score
Sorry to join in on this so late I’m new to the Expedition club. My recent 2017 Lariat super crew had the cam phasers go bad as well. They also changed out the timing chain as well. “Since they were already there”. Is that a common repair on these same engines? On the f150 the dealership insisted on trying some factory download to fix it. It did nothing as well. After the fix with phasers and timing chain it went away. I traded it for my current super duty headache.

My question is, will the cam phasers that the dealership is replacing on their dime be my only problem, or should I be asking the service director more questions such as timing chain replacement or whatever else is directly involved?

Last edited:

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm so over this whole cam phaser thing and the wastegate thing. I really don't care anymore. Fix it, don't fix it, let it blow up, whatever. I'm also done with Ford. Won't buy another for a LONG time if ever. They have turned their backs on all of us, so screw them.

Interestingly though.....I parked in the street the other day after running some errands because I wanted to blow out the garage and the driveway real quick. Walking back to the truck (which I left running and the engine was warm) I heard a continual ticking. Some what fast, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. Any guesses on what that is? Almost like the low oil or bad valve tick from the 70's. Thoughts?
Most likely that is just the your fuel pump.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to join in on this so late I’m new to the Expedition club. My recent 2017 Lariat super crew had the cam phasers go bad as well. They also changed out the timing chain as well. “Since they were already there”. Is that a common repair on these same engines? On the f150 the dealership insisted on trying some factory download to fix it. It did nothing as well. After the fix with phasers and timing chain it went away. I traded it for my current super duty headache.

My question is, will the cam phasers that the dealership is replacing on their dime be my only problem, or should I be asking the service director more questions such as timing chain replacement or whatever else is directly involved?
I’m a little confused.

From your post, it looks like you had the cam phaser job done on your F150, then traded it for a super duty.

So your cam phaser worries are over. This is a Ecoboost engine concern.

But yes, a cam phaser replacement job should always include the timing chain, and slides and a host of other hardware. It is all listed in the technician’s repair guide. He wasn’t doing you any “favors” out of the goodness of his heart. He is required to replace all those parts per the recall.
If he wanted to really help, he’d replace the damn top of the engine due the fvcked up design.