Cam phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a note to those have had cam phasers done to your 3.5 engine in our expeditions. I had mine done a year ago with 34k under warranty. Reviewed the copy of the repair order and filed it. I came across an article that listed new parts for the phasers and comparing my replacements part numbers they were old configuration which seems to me that they will fail again. More than likely after the 5 year powertrain warranty expires. Which at this point I have an extended Ford Protect warranty which covers me to time and 125k. I am pretty PO that newer updated parts weren't installed. I am sure many owners will be concerned knowing this information.Screenshot_20221112-071956_NewsBreak.jpg

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a note to those have had cam phasers done to your 3.5 engine in our expeditions. I had mine done a year ago with 34k under warranty. Reviewed the copy of the repair order and filed it. I came across an article that listed new parts for the phasers and comparing my replacements part numbers they were old configuration which seems to me that they will fail again. More than likely after the 5 year powertrain warranty expires. Which at this point I have an extended Ford Protect warranty which covers me to time and 125k. I am pretty PO that newer updated parts weren't installed. I am sure many owners will be concerned knowing this information.View attachment 75617
Its dumb that the Ford Dealer would have the incompetence to make sure the updated parts were installed. This whole cam phaser failure thing should lead to a class action lawsuit IMO for those of us that get screwed after warranty or for wages lost from work due to missing work cause you cant get there because you are back in for another cam phaser install

Last edited:

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine went in on 11/9 for R&R on the CPs. Will have to look over the RO when it's done & see which part they used.

bbeville

Reaction score
Just had mine replaced on my 2019 last week and I compared the part numbers to the above and they match .. Good news I guess. 28k miles on the truck.

I had the cold start rattle but would go away after a few seconds.
What is strange now it seems quieter at all speeds now and I think my gas mileage has improved ?? I would typically get around 15 or so around town and now up up to 19 MPG's with the same kind of driving. Is it me just babying it or would the Cam Phaser replacement have something to do with it???

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced on my 2019 last week and I compared the part numbers to the above and they match .. Good news I guess. 28k miles on the truck.

I had the cold start rattle but would go away after a few seconds.
What is strange now it seems quieter at all speeds now and I think my gas mileage has improved ?? I would typically get around 15 or so around town and now up up to 19 MPG's with the same kind of driving. Is it me just babying it or would the Cam Phaser replacement have something to do with it???
Im jealous, I get 12mpg around city, stop and go alot ,granny driving too..

Had mynphasers replaced about 1000 miles ago. Supposedly
:(

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
The phasers will definitely fail again. I had mine replaced around 36k miles or so in my '18, and now I'm at around 77k miles with a cold start rattle. My truck has been sitting at the dealership since 12/30, and I was told it'd be about 14 days until they can diagnose, then replace the phasers.

I'll have to check my original RO and see what the part# they used on the first replacement. Hopefully with this current replacement the dealership uses the latest parts...

Edit:
Just found my original RO and the part# for the CAM's they used on my first replacement is HL3Z-6C525-CD.

Last edited:

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My phasers just started rattling this weekend. Taking it in Monday evening so that they can verify on a cold start Tuesday. Probably have them check for turbo waste gate rattle also.

My '19 has 57500 on it, so still under basic power train warranty. My extended goes to 7/125, so covered for the duration I plan to own it.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My phasers just started rattling this weekend. Taking it in Monday evening so that they can verify on a cold start Tuesday. Probably have them check for turbo waste gate rattle also.

My '19 has 57500 on it, so still under basic power train warranty. My extended goes to 7/125, so covered for the duration I plan to own it.
They wont do anything regarding the wastegate rattle. I brought mine in for wastegate rattle and Ford say its normal noise

2019 58,000 miles and under powertrain warranty as well when I brought it in

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those were the parts used in my vehicle 3,000 miles ago. They are now replacing the cam phasers for a 2nd time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360