Cam upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThwopKing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds interesting. With a mostly stock motor, what benefits would a custom cam provide vs. Comp Cams?
It could be more built for your specific combo.... could be built for more low or mid powerband.... not saying it would be a world it difference and there's nothing wrong with going with an "off the shelf" cam per se. But for pretty much the same price it might fit your needs better.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I talked to (via email) Todd Warren cams about my build up. He had great knowledge and input, but right off the bat he had plans for me to change valve springs and put a high 2800 stall converter for the cam he wanted. I already told him I use it for towing not racing, and it's almost 6k lbs. I'd be slipping the converter all the time, and the exhaust and truck intake fall completely flat at 4500 rpm. I don't think he's absorbing that. So basically when I drive it would snap to 3000rpm, and only have another 1500 left to go before shifting and then wasting half the next gear. I'm not putting a mustang intake and headers on it.

I went back to what this truck was designed for, and focused on that power range. Any mods that I do will be to improve torque, not high rpms that this setup will never get to. The comp cams are working out really well. Engine is still breaking in.