Camshaft issues - P0022 and P052D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Camshafts? Dumb question, but does this have anything to do with the cam phaser issues? Or is this a different time bomb we need to worry about?

khammer

Reaction score
Camshafts? Dumb question, but does this have anything to do with the cam phaser issues? Or is this a different time bomb we need to worry about?

"One or more camshaft actuators—also known as camshaft phasers—act as the heart of the VVT system. When conditions are correct, the phasers alter the position of the camshafts to adjust the engine’s valve timing."

Given that my codes are dealing with Camshaft position and timing, I would bet that the phasers are related due to function.

I am not aware of the phaser work being performed on MY vehicle based on the history I have reviewed, but does have phaser rattle on start up. I purchased it with 80K miles and was outside the program parameters for FORD to cover this work. I have not paid for this as I have a AUL service contract and figured if it was ever needed, they could pick up the bill. I was going off the stance of FORD that this noise did not effect performance or longevity. TBD on service appointment in 2 weeks.

khammer

Reaction score
Update: I continued to see the codes and CEL on and off over the past couple of weeks before my appointment the other day. After 2 days at the dealership they finally let me know that the VCT solenoids on bank 2 driver side needed replaced. He did say they would replace gaskets and seals as well.

AUL approved the service and I owe $100 deductible. The total on the invoice for the job is $1411.48.

khammer

Reaction score
And when I had thought/hoped the story was over...I went out yesterday to take my son to the dr, and found a huge lake of oil all over my garage floor. Confirmed with the dipstick that nearly all of the oil has leaked out somewhere...looking underneath, there is oil dripping from a number of different spots along the belly.

So, back to the shop it goes.View attachment 78000

So, the dealer that did the original repair is almost 150 miles away, but they told me to just take it to my local dealer and give them the service manager's contact information. They got it in earlier this week, and the tech found that the VDOP seals were missing...so they installed new seals and topped the oil back off (3 quarts) and we've got it back, and the original dealer covered the bill. So fingers crossed we're at the end of this story :D

Well Déjà vu, 3 weeks later, I am noticing oil on the garage floor. I pulled the engine cover off and it appears the VVT solenoids are leaking oil. There is oil soaked all down the driver side of the engine, oil covering the front differential and cross member, and my skid plate looks the same as the picture.

I am monitoring the oil level and it appears to be safe for now. I called this Monday morning and "shocked" that the first appointment available is Friday morning. I will continue to watch oil level. If the engine blows up before then, I will put it on them.