Camshaft phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul41

Reaction score
The check engine light is on, on my 2008 Expedition due to P345 & P349 codes (cam position sensor bank 2) I have changed the sensor, but the light is still on (will stay off during the first start up after clearing the errors and can be run for any distance without the light on but will immediately come back on as soon as the engine is switched off then restarted) I have been told that it could be the camshaft phaser, but I am not hearing any of the knocking noise that is usually associated with the phasers needing changing. Is it possible for the phasers to fail without hearing the knocking?

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Have you tried something like FORScan to monitor the phasers? I picked up a cheap OBD II adapter and FORSCan so I could monitor my phasers. I *think* the most important parameters are VCTADVERR and VCTADVERR2 (for bank 2). This shows the difference between the commanded and measured timing advance to see exactly what your phasers are doing.

OP
OP
Paul41

Paul41

Reaction score
Just trued a couple of tests which were recommended before changing the phasers, disconnect the alternator and disconnect the VCT solenoid. When the alternator is disconnected the check engine light goes out and stays out, it appears that the error codes are linked to diodes in the alternator too...

Herby

Reaction score
Keep us posted on the final outcome. If confirmed that the alternator was the culprit, please let us know.

OP
OP
Paul41

Paul41

Reaction score
Update to the above, the alternator was not the issue. I initially tried it but only through 1 key cycle, but when I tried again through 2 key cycles the EML light remained light with the alternator disconnected. To date I have changed the cam position sensor, timing phaser & timing solenoid (all bank 2) on the advice of 'experts' but still have the same issue... I don't have a Bluetooth OBD II, looks like I'm going to need to either purchase on or put it in to garage for a proper diagnostic check.

Fitts07

Reaction score
You can pick up a Bluetooth OBD II reader pretty cheap on Amazon/eBay. Just make sure it is compatible with FORscan or what ever app you want to use.

Have you check the wiring for the sensor? If you try to check it with a multimeter there is no voltage present on the connector for the cam sensor, the sensor creates voltage that the computer reads.

OP
OP
Paul41

Paul41

Reaction score
Decided to cut my losses and invest in a newer Expy. I'm looking at a 2017 3.5 V6 turbo, what's people's opinion on this engine in comparison to the 5.4 V8 3v engine?

JamusDemus

Reaction score
Update to the above, the alternator was not the issue. I initially tried it but only through 1 key cycle, but when I tried again through 2 key cycles the EML light remained light with the alternator disconnected. To date I have changed the cam position sensor, timing phaser & timing solenoid (all bank 2) on the advice of 'experts' but still have the same issue... I don't have a Bluetooth OBD II, looks like I'm going to need to either purchase on or put it in to garage for a proper diagnostic check.
Paul, I just had something similar and the alternator testing like you did, was inconclusive. However, after replacing the alternator I haven't had any problems in a couple of weeks now. Fingers crossed still.

Apparently, the alternator was just on it's start of going out and causing a slight whine on and off. When the whining came on, it confused the camshaft sensors. Ford actually had a bulletin about the issue too but I lost track of where I put that. I was about to replace the engine. Not interested in upgrading yet.

We did not have to open the engine up and replace the phasers or solenoid, although I was getting ready to do that with the roller-followers and upgrade the oil pump. But, since I just bought myself more time, I don't see a need to do any of the rest.

Brons2

Reaction score
Decided to cut my losses and invest in a newer Expy. I'm looking at a 2017 3.5 V6 turbo, what's people's opinion on this engine in comparison to the 5.4 V8 3v engine?
I've thought about doing that too. The EB has way more midrange power.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni