Camshaft replacement due to scoring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be looking at a replacement engine. Way too much scoring and possibility of metal shaving's floating around for me. I'm thinking blocked oil passages down the road.

MC775

Reaction score
Hi @Underdog66,

how is your Expedition doing? Have you put scored camshafts back in or replaced the engine? I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation, my camshaft journals are scored pretty rough, but lobes are OK. I found it during a timing replacement procedure and I decided to put cams back in as they are (just polished them with an emery cloth). Now I wonder how long can it last with proper oil pressure and frequent oil changes.

OP
OP
Underdog66

Underdog66

Reaction score
Just an update. I did NOT replace the cams nor did I remove the oil pan. I did LIGHTLY sand the cam journals with emery cloth and cleaned them with brake clean before reinstalling them. I removed all the broken plastic guide pieces and accounted for them all. As for the 'metal shavings' floating around I dumped several gallons of kerosene, 5 quarts at a time, down through the head. I also inspected the oil pan with an inspection camera and found it to be clean as a whistle.

I know I should have replaced the cam shafts and remove the oil pan. HOWEVER I was already elbows deep into it, as well as $1000, I didn't want to invest anymore time and/or money. I had a BUDGET and time constraints. By the time I would have monkeyed around with dropping the front axles to remove the oil pan, I'd have been better off replacing the engine.

That said its been a year and 10,000 miles and she's running like a champ! On a side note when I purchased the vehicle the previous owner stated they were getting HORRIBLE millage. He said he was lucky to get 10 MPG. After the timing job and a 'tune up' she was getting 12 MPG. The CEL was coming on for a O2 sensor issues, code P0420. I bought and used CataClean as per the direction. It not only fixed the O2 sensor issue, my millage improved. I am now getting 14.5 MPG on a 17 year old gas guzzler.

Thanks for the input and the interest. I would say overall its worth doing the timing repair. Its especially nice that Brian at FordTechMakuloco has a step by step guide. I would not have even attempted it without his 'help.'

MC775

Reaction score
It is nice to know that yours is still running strong. I'm in a similar situation and decided to not invest anymore in this engine. Timing set consumed my budget - I bought this truck a month ago and was told the engine is after a rebuid and in a perfect condition, what a lie... I added MoS2 (molybdenum disulfide) to the oil, it is a friction reducer and it actually works. I don't know if you use it in America, but here in Europe it is an old method to give a worn engine some more life. I hope mine will hold at least 10k miles.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be running some type of friction fighter in the oil with that one & would not make long trips in it.

Just me tho, I'm Old.