Can’t put in Four-wheel-down towing mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
i have a 2017 Expedition 4x4 that I tow behind my motorhome. I’ve been on an extended trip with no problems with the car until last week. I transferred the system from drive to tow mode successfully 4 or 5 times before my last leg. On that one, however it would not shift to tow. While making the switch and rotating the drive knob from 2H to 4L the required 5 times in 7 seconds the dash message said “4x4 Shift in Progress”. After about the 4th rotation that message went away but I never got the “Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission In Neutral”.

I went through this process several times, each time going through the “Exiting Four-Wheel-Down Towing” process. Each time, after using the instructions for entering four wheel down towing I started the engine and verified the car still had the drive train engaged. Ultimately my wife drove the car to the stop where we are now. We will drive to the next destination where I have an appointment at the Ford dealership shop.

Any thoughts, advice on my situation?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze