Can bad suspension ruin tires that look like new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yumadoug

Reaction score
I purchased a 2003 Expedition in Arizona that's beautiful inside and out but has high miles. The suspension was worn out, badly. Lots of play in the ball joints and split CV boots. The owner said he had about 10,000 MI on the like new tires. Howls loudly. So I sunk over a grand into it and replaced everything front and back (myself): control arms, wheel bearing hubs, CV axles, struts, tie rod ends, rear control tie rod ends and four wheel drive actuators. Had it aligned at the Ford dealer. Now it rides smooth and straight but it still howls loudly, exactly the same as before. The Ford dealer says not to worry, the tires will wear themselves evenly and the noise will go away. Does that sound correct? Or do I need new tires?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 2003 Expedition in Arizona that's beautiful inside and out but has high miles. The suspension was worn out, badly. Lots of play in the ball joints and split CV boots. The owner said he had about 10,000 MI on the like new tires. Howls loudly. So I sunk over a grand into it and replaced everything front and back (myself): control arms, wheel bearing hubs, CV axles, struts, tie rod ends, rear control tie rod ends and four wheel drive actuators. Had it aligned at the Ford dealer. Now it rides smooth and straight but it still howls loudly, exactly the same as before. The Ford dealer says not to worry, the tires will wear themselves evenly and the noise will go away. Does that sound correct? Or do I need new tires?
Well a complicated no. What tires do you have? No, it won't go away, that is tire noise and usually from A/T tires. Totally normal but annoying as heck.

OP
OP
yumadoug

yumadoug

Reaction score

They are Kumho Crugen Ht51 Tire LT265/70R17 - 10 Ply / "E" Series​

twodollars

Reaction score
In my experience yes, worn steering and suspension components can lead to odd tire wear resulting in noise. Correcting the cause of the tire wear will prevent further wear issues, but your stuck with the noise on those tires, if it's really due to a wear issue a d not the basic tread design. Cheaper tires, in general, have the tendency for more noise, if comparing similar tresd types.

Bushisan

Reaction score
If you don't like the howling, change tires. I have Bridgestones and they are fine.
I also use this suv for hunting and the highway tires are fine on dirt/gravel/limited off road.
I had Kumho tires and they were junk.