1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I tow this?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Amacron, May 20, 2020.

1. Marqui3

Marqui3 New Member

I am a very experienced tow driver ( commercial semi drivers license, motorhomes and travel and utility trailers) and I would not drive it.

To be within specs, you need to stay under 7500# at the very maximum, 7000# would be better, and even then you will have to keep a close eye on your payload and tongue weight.

RustyOval and joethefordguy like this.
  2. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I have towed for 50 years. In anything over 4K#, I will not tow without an equalizer hitch. Besides safety, it makes the ride a lot more comfortable.
    I am presently towing 8000# with a 03, 4X4 with the HD tow package. I have towed with this car since I bought it in 2006. No problems attributed to towing.
    I bought replacement pads from Black rock, which were specifically made for towing. There is a noticeable difference from the OEM pads. Just saying....
    As per the OP, keep the weight to minimum. Water weighs approximately 8 pounds per gallon. That's 350# right there. Then figure in the normal equipment and supplies. Then load it and take it to a public scale. If it is within your vehicles specs, get a printed copy. After an accident, the other party's lawyers would love to see an overloaded situation...

joethefordguy likes this.
  3. LG_123

LG_123 Member

That’s way overkill. We tow a 34’ airstream with our Max Platinum. Airstream is different though due to the aerodynamics.

To OP, you’d have to be careful on the prairies in a strong side wind but otherwise would be safe if your hitch setup is correct. Power would not be an issue with your Expy.

RustyOval likes this.
  4. joethefordguy

joethefordguy Full Access Members

No, it is not "way overkill". the proper answer to this starts with a lawyer from the insurance company.
    If you think the problem is limited to "power" then you do not know what you are talking about. Sorry to be harsh, but your attitude is dangerous and can get people killed.

5. LG_123

LG_123 Member

Obviously the solution is not just a powerful vehicle, I stated you’ll need the right hitch setup to tow confidently for a trailer that size. But power is the main factor in ensuring you’ll be able to accelerate while climbing a mountain, as an example.
    If a job can safely be done with a half ton, a full ton truck is way overkill although you may prefer it for comfort or other reasons.

6. RichardH

RichardH Full Access Members

Good information. I'll have another thread asking a question in a moment, hopefully someone can assist.

Cheers,
    Dick

7. RustyOval

RustyOval Full Access Members

I agree with LG_123

LG_123 likes this.
  8. Joe S

Joe S Member

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Try this Ford site....it has all Ford vehicles trucks & SUV towing guides for each year.....your 2019 Expy towing info is there.....its a good guide put out by Ford for owners....The SUV section is towards the bottom of the guide...just keep scrolling until you come to the SUV section

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  9. johnboneske

johnboneske Full Access Members

I saw this a fee week ago... it's a 2019 Expedition standard wheel base towing a 2019 Outback 328RL which has a GVWR of 10500 pounds. I asked them how it towed and they said great, even in the mountains. I tried hard not to get my eyes "bug eyed", so I'd say you can do it. Are you experienced towing? Make sure you have the proper WDH like a Blue Ox, Hensley Arrow or Equalizer E4, otherwise DONT DO IT!

20200531_095526.jpg

10. johnboneske

johnboneske Full Access Members

I saw this a few week ago... it's a 2019 Expedition standard wheel base towing a 2019 Outback 328RL which has a GVWR of 10500 pounds. I asked them how it towed and they said great, even in the mountains. I tried hard not to get my eyes "bug eyed", so I'd say you can do it. Are you experienced towing? Make sure you have the proper WDH like a Blue Ox, Hensley Arrow or Equalizer E4, otherwise DONT DO IT!