Can we talk HD Tow one more time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting 3L is a 3.73 electronic limited slip for the Expedition, and then for my 2023 F-150 L3 denotes the 3.31 electronic locking axle. Ford sure is confusing with their axle codes

IMG_4395.jpeg

IMG_4461.png

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s interesting 3L is a 3.73 electronic limited slip for the Expedition, and then for my 2023 F-150 L3 denotes the 3.31 electronic locking axle. Ford sure is confusing with their axle codes

Unfortunately, the codes are vehicle specific. You know what would be great...if Ford just printed the axle ratio and diff type on the label or vehicle body someplace. A barcode that links to the Monroney would be helpful as well. The dealerships are clueless about HD Towing. There's no way to specify it in a search, so you have to know what to look for in photographs. Interestingly enough, I see more Navigators equipped with HD Tow than Expeditions. Ford made it a standalone option after 2017, so many vehicles were optioned without it. Unfortunately, many of the Navigators with HD Tow don't have a bench in the 2nd row.