cannister vent hose disconnected?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greasemonger

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Been a good long while since I've had to post here as I ditched the 98 expy for an 04 navi. Last week I had to have my fuel pump replaced (bypassed the non servicable relay to make sure it was the pump, it was the pump) at a service station in a tiny town here in S. GA. Other than the guy forgetting to put the fuel filter cover back on and subsequently spewing gas all over the next morning when a line came loose, its running fairly well. 2 weeks ago I got a check fuel cap code on the dash message center and ended up replacing the cap and the evap return vac line that was basically disentigrating. My bluetooth scan tool doesnt show any codes but I'm due for an emissions test so I decided to have a look around for any obvious signs of EVAP issues (purge valve, cannister, etc being disconnected or show excessive wear) and found that there is a hose zip tied to the filler neck/vent tubes. Anyone have any idea where this is actually supposed to be connected since Im sure this isnt correct? Only metro ATL counties require emissions so I assume they just popped this off and got it out of the way, but I can't cant help thinking the fuel pump failure and evap issue weren't somehow related. Any help is greatly appreciated.20210726_111952.jpg

OP
OP
greasemonger

greasemonger

Reaction score
Edit: Oh and I should have also noted that when filling the tank the last couple of times it puked a little fuel out at the filler neck right when the pump cut itself off. Maybe a clogged vapor canister stressing out the system?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Before you look for a problem, make sure that's not the rear differential vent hose which gets tied up high somewhere - often anywhere.

OP
OP
greasemonger

greasemonger

Reaction score
I dropped the spare and followed the hose back to a small plastic box (fuel/water seperator?) that is connected to the charcoal canister on top of the support back there. I did see another post that looked virtually identical to the way mine looks, but found it hard to believe that Ford would have included the little gray clip on the end and used zip ties to secure it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's actually the canister's vent hose, it's supposed to be zip tied like that. It's normal.

OP
OP
greasemonger

greasemonger

Reaction score
Rgr that thanks. I suppose the burping of fuel is likely the cannister vent solenoid, as the vent line and hose connections seem to be straight and unobstructed (other than the small broken tab in the filler neck that was identified in another thread recently....i guess the broken piece could have fallen down the vent since I dont remember ever seeing it)

OP
OP
greasemonger

greasemonger

Reaction score
Aaaand now I've got the erratic fuel guage and fuel computer error on the message screen. Taking it back to the carquest that replaced the fuel pump a couple weeks back to check for bad connections and maybe another new pump. This fuel stuff is driving me insane.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aaaand now I've got the erratic fuel guage and fuel computer error on the message screen. Taking it back to the carquest that replaced the fuel pump a couple weeks back to check for bad connections and maybe another new pump. This fuel stuff is driving me insane.

Yeah if they just tried to replace the actual pump and not the whole assembly there's a good chance they damaged the fuel quantity sending unit in the process. I always recommend replacing it as a whole assembly.

OP
OP
greasemonger

greasemonger

Reaction score
Yeah if they just tried to replace the actual pump and not the whole assembly there's a good chance they damaged the fuel quantity sending unit in the process. I always recommend replacing it as a whole assembly.

Ill make sure to ask them if that's what they did. I guess I just assumed that they would have replaced the whole thing, but that may have been foolish on my part. Its a carquest shop in a tiny town in south GA that primarily focuses on minor work like tires and oil changes. I ride b!ck home today but will be back week after next so I guess I could have them warrantee it then

yumadoug

Reaction score
I'm so relieved that I found your post! I just today found the same hose zip-tied and capped on my Expedition when looking for a code on a "small evaporated emission leak". I immediately thought someone rigged it because they needed to replace that expensive canister. So I still need to find the "small leak".

That hose and the fuel filler and vent hoses are deteriorated on the outside (the AZ heat destroys everything rubber or plastic). I can't seem to find them pre-made online. I suppose I'll have to take them off and make a trip to AutoZone or Napa, unless someone can tell me where to find them online.

Thanks!