Car starter problem 04 EB Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a car starter that used to work fine. Now it will start the vehicle, but then the vehicle instantly quits. I think it started after I had the dash ripped apart. I remember noticing where the car starter was wired in and I thought I was careful not to disturb anything, but now it has issues! Any ideas where I should begin looking for the problem?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need more info.
Why was the dash ripped apart?
If the engines starts then the starter is working. Something else is causing it to quit.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the dash apart last fall due to problems with my instrument cluster. Vehicle starts and runs fine (when started with the key) but immediately stalls, restarts, stalls, etc when started with the remote starter. I replaced the battery thinking my aging battery was causing the issue but it didn’t help.

Plati

Reaction score
I had that exact problem last year on my 2003 Expy. Remote start ONLY ... starts ... dies ... restarts ... dies ... repeat. Then the battery ended up running down from all the restarts.

What it ended up being was ... there was a wire added (at some point years ago) from under the dash (steering wheel area) that ran through the firewall and was spliced into a wire going to an injector. The splice action had compromised the wiring in that section (at injector connector) to break. Fixed the splice and put new connector on and all good. Obviously charged battery. Lots of weird things can happen when battery runs down.

I thought that wire that ran from dash to injector was from the remote start install but I didnt really know for sure. It doesnt make sense to me that remote start needs a wire to an injector?

Heres the original post from that CF. Its very confusing but sometimes diagnosing a problem IS confusing with multiple red herrings.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/obdii-reader.34543/

No idea if this will help but it has a some common elements with your description.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that sure sounds like it will be helpful! I do remember seeing the wires for the starter when I had the dash apart. I bet I pinched one. I will have a look at them this weekend-thank you.

Plati

Reaction score
By the way, St Lawrence County is great!
Makes me psyched for winter. Great snowmobiling up there!!
Heres a bonus pic from Little Blue.
IMG_2707.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is why we recommend not tapping into any existing wires if you don't know.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk