cargo area dimensions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im looking to purchase an 2011 xlt. I'm pretty familiar with the 5.4L.. this isn't my first triton, but I do have one piece of information I haven't been able to find. Can someone link me or get me the dimensions of the cargo area behind the 3rd row? At floor and at headrest height if possible? It looks like its ~ 2ft deep, but width and how narrow it is up top (from headrest to hatch) has completely escaped me..

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of expedition owners in a couple months (just getting finances to line up accurately to make it an easy purchase...)..

scythe

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shortie is 1 armored fullsize luggage deep, so 3 big suitcases fit with 3rd row up.... usually gotta load/unload thru glass though, the tilt makes everything prone to tumbling out

EL is 2-3 suitcases deep, or you can load em narrow side in

Seats down flat, you can sleep back there, and iirc 4x8' plywood sheets fit in both lengths?

OP
OP
S

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, how bout the small "carry on" size.. can i fit them short side in.. and how many wide (I'm looking to transport 7 of em, plus other cargo.. )? My little kia will do 4 wide, with narrow side against the seat. i'm assuming I'm gonna get 5 wide packed in the same manner in the shortie, is that a complete and utter miscalculation? Kinda why I'm looking for measurements, in inches, cm, mm, parsecs, fathoms, .. something I can objectively use :D If you wouldnt mind putting a single carry one sized hard luggage in for reference, I'd love ya, like a brother of course lol.

That said, the EL is ~14" longer than the xlt right? If so, I can take a look at a full size, and subtract 14" from its width and see if my carryons are of a useable set of dimensions (or I can mess with the dealer and walk up..

Dealer - can I help you?

Me.. Yes, I'd like to see that 2011 over there.. Dear, kids, grab the suitcases.. time to test fit

7 suitcases later

Dealer .. ???!!!!!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, how bout the small "carry on" size.. can i fit them short side in.. and how many wide (I'm looking to transport 7 of em, plus other cargo.. )? My little kia will do 4 wide, with narrow side against the seat. i'm assuming I'm gonna get 5 wide packed in the same manner in the shortie, is that a complete and utter miscalculation? Kinda why I'm looking for measurements, in inches, cm, mm, parsecs, fathoms, .. something I can objectively use :D If you wouldnt mind putting a single carry one sized hard luggage in for reference, I'd love ya, like a brother of course lol.

That said, the EL is ~14" longer than the xlt right? If so, I can take a look at a full size, and subtract 14" from its width and see if my carryons are of a useable set of dimensions (or I can mess with the dealer and walk up..

Dealer - can I help you?

Me.. Yes, I'd like to see that 2011 over there.. Dear, kids, grab the suitcases.. time to test fit

7 suitcases later

Dealer .. ???!!!!!

Are you using all 8 seats?

You can fit a crapton of stuff between the seats, if you opt for 2+2+3 captain chairs or removed midrow jumpseat... even moreso if you have a column-shifted no-console SSV model

EL is better if you have crap AND people, shortie is more of an either or if you want full comfort

PS 2011 is old enough that you probably don't wanna go through a dealer.... should be able to find one with at least half its life ahead of it and well equipped for $10k or less. And since dealers typically want like $4k per flipped vehicle...

OP
OP
S

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll be using 7 of the 8.. but with carseats you might as well consider the back 6 all taken, even though only 5 of them are.. Big family and all the kids are still in car seats.

You're not wrong on the private vs dealer sales. I'll end up going through a dealership because they're chains around here that will ship it closer frequently than if I am looking at local folks. I live right near a state border, but after getting a state inspection, state emissions inspection, and state registration.. I have lost a day just by crossing a border 10 miles away. I really hate waiting in lines lol.

I'm currently in a kia sedona.. so I dont have a TON of crap, but I do have enough that we have appropiately surmised that we have outgrown it.. On a normal trip.. each kid gets a blanket and an activity pack.. The packs hang on the back of the cars seats. Then we have snacks and drinks (capri sun, chips, etc..) that we keep in a box or cooler behind the driver so the passenger can throw them at the kids (you should try it.. pretty cathartic really lol). Then right now its 5 suitcases or 6 behind the back row, a diaper bag, spare diapers, etc. If I can get 5 across of the carry on sized bags.. I can fit the extra diapers, diaper bag, etc on top of them and possibly the last suitcase.. then everything is a nice, easy fit. I've even used a roof top bag before, and have contemplated a trailer hitch box to expand.. Unfortuantely.. with a family the size of mine, we grow to the size of the environment. I do appreciate the info on the suitcases...

When you say you can fit 3 full size cases in the back.. in what orientation??

You said the middle jump seat in the middle row can be removed?!! That sounds very useful.

Outside of that, are there any neat features on the expy that would be nice to know? I know on my vw's and audi's.. I could use the key to roll up or down the windows.. Is there anything like that, or hidden (or obscure) storage compartments, or neat little tricks people do to make their cars more.. useable?

I see the jack compartment is small, can I coil a set of jumper cables in there as well? Can I fit an emergency first aid kit under a seat? How about a compact tire pump?

Thanks again..

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to do Uber/Lyft (XL/Plus, not regular) out of airports for a bit of cash on my SSV shortie... i just tossed my crap under a blanket/tarp on the floor of the luggage area. But that thing had steering column shift and no middle console, which is the main cavernous space for small crap

Then use the glass for loading and it's all good, mad amounts of cargo can still be jammed in on top of whatever's on the floor.

When I say full size i do mean full size luggages... the kind rich Asian tourists travel with, the ones twice the size of his wifey. The amount of crap people will try to stick in hired transportation is pretty stunning... and since I only ever did the pricey runs, if I showed up I'd damn well make it fit

If you fit in a shortie Expy, it might actually be more convenient sometimes --- luggage tetris will keep everything in there firmly in place.... in an EL (or Navigator L, same difference), you'll probably be unable to stuff it densely and it might bounce around a bit

But otoh, overloading an EL/GatorL is a challenge to say the least. You can be thousands of pounds over the door sticker limit long before you run out of space

PS if you have a large family and are looking at earlier years with 5.4 L motors, I seriously recommend AT LEAST 120k+, else it's just a waste... use spare money to upgrade to EL or Navigator L (which is usually cheaper than fully loaded Expeditions btw)... you'll end up getting something else long looong before the things start falling apart anyway

And if you for some reason want to spend serious dough, get the ecoboost 3.5l ones. Don't get suckered into that "low low mileage" dealership crap and buy an old truck for a lot, mileage is fairly irrelevant

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll check out the navigator L. I'm not seeing any EL's in the area. I'm looking at no more than 13-14k. I'm looking at the 100-120k miles on it range too..
I can always pack out an EL.. especially during a Christmas vacation when we're taking presents to family in like 3-4 different cities..

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll check out the navigator L. I'm not seeing any EL's in the area. I'm looking at no more than 13-14k. I'm looking at the 100-120k miles on it range too..
I can always pack out an EL.. especially during a Christmas vacation when we're taking presents to family in like 3-4 different cities..

Last year I got my '12 gator L w/ 130k for $13.5k

Definitely doable

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see the jack compartment is small, can I coil a set of jumper cables in there as well? Can I fit an emergency first aid kit under a seat? How about a compact tire pump?

Thanks again..

The storage compartment is ridiculously small, but I managed to fit a small tool pouch, a breaker bar, and a 20', 2-gauge set of cables in there. With the cables in there though, it just all barely fits. It was a bit roomier when I had a set of s*itty cables in there.

If you have power seats, you're not getting much of anything under the front seats. There's plenty of space under the second row though. There's also a fair bit of room up under the dash should you be looking to rig something up to store valuables, a firearm, or a crack pipe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman