Cargo Management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CGETX20

Reaction score
That is probably the best for vacations and trips where you don’t pull a trailer or need a bike rack. I want one, but it’s one more huge thing to store. The price isn’t bad if you consider a mid grade roof top box is around $500.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Fozzy that’s my biggest concern - storage while not in use. The thing is huge. I guess you could use it as a storage box in the garage when not on your hitch. @Deadman does it sit flat when off the vehicle and resting on the ground? Do you ever take the box off of the frame when not in use?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only use mine once or twice a year, so it does sit in my garage. I just leave it on the floor. I'm sure you could unbolt the frame from the cargo box, but I never do. Mine sits in my 4,000 sq ft detached garage, so Its not a big deal. lol. If you are limited on space it would be in your way. I bought mine with the optional wheels on the bottom, so I can easily move it around the garage when needed.
This thing is gasketed and doesn't get wet inside.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Fozzy that’s my biggest concern - storage while not in use. The thing is huge. I guess you could use it as a storage box in the garage when not on your hitch. @Deadman does it sit flat when off the vehicle and resting on the ground? Do you ever take the box off of the frame when not in use?

I have my Thule one stored off the frame. Storage definitely can be a pain. I've only used it once! Haha I don't have a garage, so I kept it at my parents. Had the frame in the rafters of the garage (dang heavy getting it up or out of there!) and the box on a shelf. Now we keep it at the inlaws business. Great unit, even though I haven't used it in at LEAST 12 years, I still won't sell it! Haha

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would this type of trip be a regular thing?
Hitch baskets and boxes are miserable I borrowed one and hated it. Plus most people over load them and create other problems.
How about a built up Harbor Freight trailer?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hitch baskets and boxes are miserable I borrowed one and hated it. Plus most people over load them and create other problems.

A trailers a good option, but then you need to find a place to park the trailer for a couple weeks while on vacation in my case..... My wife wouldn't drive if we had a trailer, so that was a no go as I'm not about to drive 24-26hrs with no relief. lol.

But trailer might work great for some people!

OP
OP
C

CGETX20

Reaction score

We try to go several times a year, but typically only drive if we get to take a longer than normal trip (usually once a summer). Honestly I would feel ridiculous taking a trailer, it’s not enough to justify that. I’d rather deal with the hitch box than a trailer for this, but I do have one if it came down to needing that much space.

@Calidad what was your biggest complaint with a hitch mounted cargo unit?

Tampa Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Thule unit, not the largest bet have had it for several years. It doesn’t impact fuel economy or handling.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Thule Transporter that I really like. I just got back from Yellowstone and had a 65q cooler, 2-large duffle bags, and 2 small duffle bags i side. This is my second road trip with it, including rain and snow. I’ve never had issues with water leaks. Between the Transporter and cargo behind my 3rd row I have plenty of space for 2-adults and 6-little kids.

Thule Transporter Combination Hitch Cargo Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00152VYLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BVy8Eb3Q0KNP6

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I'm actually not going to lie I kind of liked our hitch basket. I purchased it originally for our annual 2,000 mile hunting trip. But have since used it camping and for smaller loads that I don't need the whole utility trailer for. We also have a Yakima mega load warrior roof basket.

Screenshot_20200623-193352_Photos.jpg