Carrying cargo on front hitch cargo carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I still think you’re better off using WDH to get more weight onto your front axle - you don’t necessarily need to know the weight just measure your fender height before and after. Sounds anyway like ford recommends something that can get you to 50% and the Anderson only does 30%.

Thanks for the feedback.

Andersen had indicated that I should not expect more than 30% of the tongue weight to be shifted to the front. For my setup with a hitch weight of 680 lbs that would be ~200lbs.

Regarding the FALR, my TV only front axle weight is 3140lbs (36 1/8” at front) and my TV+TT [no WDH] weight is 2840lbs (36 9/16”). 50% FALR would mean returning to the front axle back to 2990lbs (36 5/16”).

With the Andersen tuned as much as I can, I am getting a front axle weight of 3000lbs (36 1/4”). This works out to be slightly more than 50% FALR in weight (and fender height).

If the Ford guidance is something to adhere to it seems that even if I purchased a new hitch, I would not be able to take advantage of the increased availability of payload in the rear given I would be shifting too much weight back to the front according to the 50% FALR guidance.

I read elsewhere that shifting too much back to the front can lead to more vulnerability to jackknifing due to oversteer.

I am beginning to resign myself to just being careful about how much stuff I plan to bring...maybe put some of the items into the trailer if I can keep items near the trailer axles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I think that’s wise. I was mostly approaching my assistance as helping you move more weight to your front axle for safety and comfort but yes, agree that regardless any extra weight should go in the trailer rather than add to payload.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towing big trailers with 1/2 ton SUVs can be challenging because they have limited payload, so you wind up juggling loads. The upgrades are 3/4 ton SUVs, like the Excursion and Suburban. But if you really want more payload, the 3500 vans from Nissan and Chevy have plenty.

OP
OP
J

Joey Smith

Reaction score
I ended up opting to try and make due with the space I have. I moved some items from the Expedition to the trailer and things are balancing out alright for now.

Have not looked further into front cargo carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fdmsiv

Reaction score
Old thread revival however I am contemplating a front hitch/caro carrier to hold the expy spare tire and jack while towing. Its not a huge amonut of weight, maybe 100 lbs with tire, jack, and carrier but it is taking about 140 lbs off the rear axle.

I went with the Andersen hitch most because of the weight. I about pulled my back out lifting the ball part of a husky wdh. That chunk o steel weighed 90 - 100 lbs alone. Toss in the bars and the typical wdh system is 120+ lbs. The Andersen may not transfer as much but it only weighs 60ish lbs including the chains and brackets. I havent towed with the hitch so this is a paper excerise for now.

Any advice on what i can put on the carrier to get an idea where the front is while driving?