Cat back Exhaust upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiny

Reaction score
Do you still have the Gibson system and if so what is the part number and how much for it??

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have the Gibson system, I waited several months for it even though they took money out of my bank to pay for it- as if it was actually available and for sale. After months, they shipped it a week after I canceled the order. They then made me wait another week for it to get delivered, then I had to deal with return shipping it and wait another week for them to accept the returned order, then another week of their in house problems and paperwork to finally process the refund. FUUUCCKKK GIBSON

I ended up getting the CGS system which was actually in stock, less expensive, and took less than a week to get delivered. However the CGS system is NOT stainless as advertised. The CGS system "stainless" muffler and tip are corroding horribly bad. They look like they're about to have holes in them any day now and they're only 4 months old. I'm not happy with that at all. My next step will be to try either Magnaflow or Borla's stainless muffler and tip to see how they do in the weather.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally gave up on the CGS muffler after trying to make it sound the way I want for months. I had installed an Auger type resonator inside the pipe but it kept coming loose and rattling. The CGS muffler was also corroding very badly. The most annoying part of the system was the horrible drone at 1800-2200 rpm range. I just replaced the muffler itself with a Walker sound FX muffler part number 17809. It's 10" longer so I had to cut a piece off the inlet pipe on the truck. Now the truck sounds great on the outside- still sounds louder than stock, but from inside the cab it's extremely quiet, even with the windows open. There's no more drone at all. I also replaced the crappy CGS exhaust clamps that originally came with their system. I put in stainless steel ones from Evil Eye. These new ones seem to really grip the pipes much better and they're not rotating anymore.

The Walker muffler is not stainless though, it's aluminized so I'll probably get corrosion eventually since we go to the boat ramp every week. But this aluminized coating is better than the bare metal on the CGS muffler. The factory muffler was aluminized too and it lasted 14 years, and I only really changed it because it was too quiet.

Here's what the CGS muffler looks like after 6 months/ more or less
20221018_074824.jpg

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
I run a stock muffler & rear resonator because I can’t stand the noise & the drone, especially while towing.
I don’t think it hurts my performance too much either, or I’ll just say I’m happy with my 12.49” 1/4-mile, not to make it any louder, plus it’s a heck-of-a-sleeper.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally gave up on the CGS muffler after trying to make it sound the way I want for months. I had installed an Auger type resonator inside the pipe but it kept coming loose and rattling. The CGS muffler was also corroding very badly. The most annoying part of the system was the horrible drone at 1800-2200 rpm range. I just replaced the muffler itself with a Walker sound FX muffler part number 17809. It's 10" longer so I had to cut a piece off the inlet pipe on the truck. Now the truck sounds great on the outside- still sounds louder than stock, but from inside the cab it's extremely quiet, even with the windows open. There's no more drone at all. I also replaced the crappy CGS exhaust clamps that originally came with their system. I put in stainless steel ones from Evil Eye. These new ones seem to really grip the pipes much better and they're not rotating anymore.

The Walker muffler is not stainless though, it's aluminized so I'll probably get corrosion eventually since we go to the boat ramp every week. But this aluminized coating is better than the bare metal on the CGS muffler. The factory muffler was aluminized too and it lasted 14 years, and I only really changed it because it was too quiet.

Here's what the CGS muffler looks like after 6 months/ more or less
View attachment 75395

can you add a sound clip...... I went to a local muffler shop and another 2012 expedition had magnaflow 22 inch muffler installed and it sound good and had no drone with i did a test drive with the owner? The shop gave a quote of $180.00 to remove the CGS and install the new muffler and keep the exiting 3 inch piping and tig weld it all back.