CAT replacement options 05 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArcticAthlon

Reaction score
So i am getting the P0420 and P0430 codes for the CEL, and the prices are crazy to get the motorcraft replacement $2100 installed...

I have never had to install a CAT, but how "Bolt On" are they? If i buy a direct fit CAT with mounting bolts and brackets, can i install it at my house?

Please correct me if there are other alternatives, but here is what i have found so far.

1. Go to regular muffler shop and get cheap CAT's installed for ~250 each (i have driver and passenger side) This would be them cutting out the OEM's and welding in a CAT without a warranty.

2. Order Direct Fit CATs for $600 combined and either install them myself or have a shop install them. These have a 5 year/50k mile warranty.

3. pay for full price at expensive shop?

Below is the shot of what supposedly fits my 2005 Expedition.

Eastern 30527 Catalytic Converter | Auto Parts Warehouse

Eastern 30528 ECO II Catalytic Converter | Auto Parts Warehouse

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the experience of replacing mine I went with a bolt on replacement. There is another company that makes a bolt on replacement which is what I had installed at a muffler shop. They were about $1000 installed, luckily the dealer picked up the tab. There were muffler shops that would weld in new cats also. On our trucks we have 4 cats, 2 on each side. So you may need to find which ones are bad. If it's throwing codes and my memory serves me right it would mean the front 2 are not operating efficiently because I believe the o2 sensors are before the 1st and 2nd ones. I may be wrong though, this was a year ago I dealt with mine. One muffler shops was going to remove all 4 and replace with just one on each side which may be an option also for you. Neither of those that you posted look right though. I'm also thinking that the o2 sensor was after the second cat and if you removed both and replaced with just 1 that you had to use spark plug non-foulers to extend the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream a little to prevent your check engine light from coming on any more.

This is what I was thinking they looked like, with the 2 cats on each side.
97Exhaust_zpsca5bf96f.gif93129MAG_zps816e55b7.jpg

If you're doing the work yourself I would go with the bolt on option, if going to a muffler shop I'd weigh the value of the truck and how long I planned on keeping it to help decide what I wanted them to do. Something else to think about is the wait time on ordering the bolt on option. It took the muffler shop 3 weeks to get mine in, you may not have that much time to wait, I don't know.

Victor

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the P0420 code too, trying to figure out if I want to do a cat delete or just replace them.........

places I've been to or called have told me they wont do it cuz its illegal...OR...charge another $100 to do it

OP
OP
A

ArcticAthlon

Reaction score
I just finished up fixing my Expedition. I was able to clear both my P0430 and P0420 (both Cats) CELs and the replacement was easy. I ended up going with option #2, which was to purchase a direct fit Cat that had the same warranty as i would have gotten from going to a regular car shop (5 year/50k miles). The shop quoted me Option #3) $2100 for direct fit replacement, but i was able to find them much cheaper online.

I ordered from the parts train dot com, and here was my order.

Order Details

Catalytic Converter 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 8 Cyl 5.4L Eastern Catalytic Converter Expedition Eastern
Price: $ 245.63
Qty: 1.00
Part #: EAST30528

Catalytic Converter 2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 8 Cyl 5.4L Eastern Catalytic Converter Expedition Eastern
Price: $ 219.10
Qty: 1.00
Part #: EAST30527

Sub Total: $464.73
Shipping:$6.48
Handling:$3.80
Tax:$0.00
Core:$0.00
Discount:$46.47
Total: $428.54

It took me only about 4 hours to do the whole job and it was easy. I was able to do everything with just a socket wrench set and some extensions. Codes are cleared and gone. I got the discount by searching for " partstrain coupon codes" online and there were several coupons that gave me close to 8% off. Some coupons worked, and some did not, and so i called the 1800 number to order of the phone, and the sales rep was very eager to get the sale and i told him that i wanted the 8% coupon to be applied. he said he would do it, and his manager came to give the OK. he then said that the 8% coupon was applied, and i smiled because he gave me 10% off. I did not complain, and i am not sure if he even knew what the difference from 8% and 10% was.

Last edited: