Catalytic or cat lock DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clever and simple product to protect catalytic converters.

The police here now issue thieves an "appearance ticket" and release them with a trial date, so it's open season on stealing these things. They just keep coming back an taking more.

Forget the alarm, but the steel cabled tape looks great.

It seems like it's open season for theft across the board as long as you don't steal from the government.

My new Discover card was stolen out of my PO box by a postal worker, who then used it to place an order for just under $500 with Nike. Nike reached out to me because I had not ordered in 6 years and asked if the order was legit. I told them it wasn't and managed to get the delivery address out of them. It was a house 2 miles away. I took it to the police and they said "Well you caught it before it shipped, so no money was lost and thus a crime wasn't really committed." Um, yeah, it actually was. That was the end of that.

My mom had a local guy open a Cashapp account with her address and the police did nothing except to tell her they were very familiar with the guy. A year later he applied for a credit card in her name. Again, they took a report and did nothing.

I had a gas station skim my card and then charge it at an other station they owned about an hour away. The police did nothing.
Meanwhile, some guy in NJ stole a snow plow from some NJ township in the middle of the night. He had no license plate so all they had was a vague description of the truck from the low-quality time lapse video from the township lot and what looked like what could possibly, maybe be PA inspection stickers. They reached out to every NJ/PA toll station and managed to get a video of him paying a toll at some obscure crossing in Dingman's Ferry, PA, which is manned by a single elderly guy with a bucket that stands in the middle of the road and collects the toll for both sides (seriously). Then they posted images of his face, vehicle, etc. on NJ and PA state police pages, local PDs, etc. No idea if they ever caught him, but they sure as hell went though a lot more effort for a gov't theft than they do for us citizens.

/ end rant :p

Pele

Reaction score
$160 is too expensive for you? I paid $600 for the cat clamp that's on my Ford Excursion.
Also why would you pay for labor?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My son had his cat stolen several years ago, he lived in an apartment the city and had a beater car to go grocery shopping. Came down one Saturday morning and had a new custom sound.

Personally I would like to put a motion sensor under the car and hook it up to an air horn under the hood. Train horns going off would certainly dissuade someone from sticking around even for the 90 seconds it takes to remove the cats. But I would be afraid a local cat, squirrel, or skunk would set off the horns. And the skunk could leave a reminder he was there that could make the car unpleasant to drive for a while, as well as the sound level being unwelcome for the neighbors.

There is a pretty good YouTube video (link below) with a cat protection device comparison, their conclusion was you need to add time to the thief’s work to convince him to go elsewhere. With that in mind, the best one would be a welded cage of rebar welded into the vehicle although admittedly that would make any exhaust repairs more difficult and costly. Second place was a steel plate fastened with many fasteners to make the thief cut through the plate. And adding identification to the cat itself with the vehicle SN and the word “Stolen” by engraving and painting in a bright color is a good deterrent as well.