Catalytic or cat lock DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't say what I'd like to do to thieves, but it does involves a 120' well and a cement block....

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Got a call from the Pennsylvania State Police yesterday...
Our 2011 was at a garage for power steering and state inspection work, had to wait 2 weeks for the rack and a spot in their schedule. By the time that they went to pull it back in the cats were gone. The thieves got them off our Expedition, another and two other trucks.
Progressive covers it under comprehensive, so I guess I'm getting new ones for $100. Now that the exhaust is torn apart, might be time to replace the passenger-side exhaust manifold and gasket (been ticking for a little while, thought I'd let it go until I recovered from the steering system bill).

I searched, hoping for a defensive option (I'm not going to stake out the Expedition with a gun waiting for the next time). I do like the idea idea of adding skid plates that would add to the capability and deter thieves. I'm on board with the idea that if it's harder, they'll goes elsewhere. I don't have it back yet to start to look at the options.

Did anyone build or buy anything that they're happy with since February?

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
The adjuster reviewed the situation with the garage - ~$2,600 worth of damage/theft.

Looks like I'm going to need to crawl around under there with some sheets of cardboard then start talking to the local water-jet shop.
Does anyone have any thoughts on attaching to the frame with riv-nuts and tamper-resistant bolts.
The first concern that comes to my mind is managing the heat coming off the exhaust, especially when not moving. It's fine for the cats to be hot, but not the floor, insulation, carpet.
As much as I like the idea of a continuous sheet for sliding over logs/branches (frontwards and backwards), I expect that this would cause significant issues for oil changes, etc.
What else am I missing? Feedback from someone with experience making their own skid plates would be really appreciated!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look at the OEM Ford skid plates that come with the police SSV trucks, and expand slightly on those if you can to protect the cats. Maybe even find a set of original plates at a junk yard and weld some extensions or chain link onto them.

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Hi Eddie,
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I'm still waiting to get a date when I'll be able to bring it home and crawl around underneath. I want to see if it would be easier to custom make the whole thing or start adding on extensions.

Of course starting with something makes use of the bolt locations, which is a significant advantage.

Anyone,
On another topic...
What's everyone's' thought on marking the catalytic converters with my Expedition's VIN? Engraving plus stove paint and a stencil should make it obvious that they would be traceable back to my Expedition. I'm not sure if anyone in the value stream for stolen cats would care.

I just like the thought of it being possible to trace it back. Though, I have seen plenty of restaurant or bar glasses that are marked, "Stolen from ___", which is partially a joke because if they to wind up in someone's home or dorm room, the bar get some advertising for the price of a glass.

no MORE_MPG

Reaction score
Do you think that they'll notice?
The big question is "Will they care?". I suspect that they'll hack up the exhaust either way out of spite.

I used VHT Flameproof paint - https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-flameproof-coating
It's worth noting that this is what they call "Red".

I used a Dremel to grind the VIN into each of them. My understanding is that scrap yards won't buy known stolen catalytic converters.

It's been 3 weeks since I got the call and about 5 weeks total including the steering repairs (1st the pump, the rack) and state safety and emissions inspections.

IMG_20211107_152941337~2.jpgIMG_20211107_153019978_HDR~2.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Clever and simple product to protect catalytic converters.

The police here now issue thieves an "appearance ticket" and release them with a trial date, so it's open season on stealing these things. They just keep coming back an taking more.

Forget the alarm, but the steel cabled tape looks great.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The local police in my area recommended spray painting the converters with bright colored spray paint. Not sure what that would help. I stamped my vin into my converters, figured if they get stolen the thief may not notice and the local scrap yards won't take it unless they have something saying they own the vehicle the number belongs to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni