Catch-can question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone find their catch can threads extremely tight?

I always only hand tighten the actual can part but every time I need to empty it, its like it was tightened by the hands of Thor. Today I was literally bending the bracket trying to get it to turn, before it finally came loose. I like to believe I'm as super strong as any one, but this thing is always super tough to take out.

I thought about placing a little bit of grease on the threads but I also don't know if I want to loosen it that much.

Or is this just par for the course? this my first catch-can after all...

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What can? Just checked my JLT can (after reading this note). I dismount the bracket with a little ratcheting 10mm wrench. Can twisted off by hand. Tight, but came off.

Can was full. Gotta see if I can find the last time I checked it.

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the can is the bottom part, that screws off and actually catches the stuff

OP
OP
C

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have JLT catch can. I haven't heard of anyone using a different brand.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Geesh this reminds me to empty mine, I guess I need to start keeping a log on when I empty it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My last can dump was scheduled for July 10 but there's no indication in my notes that I did it. :) Scheduled time before that was April 10. Pretty sure I did at least one of them.

I just set a reminder to check it again in two months.

-- Chuck

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the RXP catch can. The pros are that it has a easy opening quarter turn valve at the bottom to drain it without removal. And it holds a lot more volume and only catches oil not water because it’s a oil separator also which keeps the volume down. The cons are it’s more expensive to buy and a harder install.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you guys catching in your cans? Sounds bad. Is this an Eco problem? I have a '14 5.4 and I see most of the above are '17's. I like a clean can too...