Catch cans anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lam396

Reaction score
That's crazy! I'm gonna need to get a bigger can if this continues. But I guess I'm glad I'm not putting that stuff back in the system

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's crazy! I'm gonna need to get a bigger can if this continues. But I guess I'm glad I'm not putting that stuff back in the system

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
In the cold winter months I check and drain mine every 5-600 miles. Mostly condensation like chocolate milk. In the warmer months it is all oil and I check and drain every 1500miles.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Completely normal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
That video in NO WAY makes the case AGAINST catch cans. The guy rambles and bloviates and never gives a clear answer. So I went to the comments, and almost all of the comments support installing a catch can. It is a preventative measure to reduce blow by. $150 for a JLT catch can is cheaper than the issues caused by build up on the valves.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That video in NO WAY makes the case AGAINST catch cans. The guy rambles and bloviates and never gives a clear answer. So I went to the comments, and almost all of the comments support installing a catch can. It is a preventative measure to reduce blow by. $150 for a JLT catch can is cheaper than the issues caused by build up on the valves.
The second gen eco boost is already designed to eliminate the issue catch cans are trying to prevent. Dual port injection.

https://www.noln.net/articles/2785-...ow-about-the-next-generation-of-engine-design

OP
OP
M

mrmachinist

Reaction score

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The second gen eco boost is already designed to eliminate the issue catch cans are trying to prevent. Dual port injection.

https://www.noln.net/articles/2785-...ow-about-the-next-generation-of-engine-design

I have said it a thousand times... ANY engine with a PCV system will benefit from a catch can filter. And to the folks who wonder about the second valve cover, usually that is the clean air intake side, another can would have zero benefit there.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I made my on on my 2004 6.0L diesel....cause ford was dumping the mist back thru the turbo and into the inter-cooler, I mounted it low on the frame rail and put a drain in it so I could drain the crap rather then remove the (PVC can).

Im looking hard at the misimoto system because they use TWO cans (one for each side) and one of the cans is large at 12 ounces!

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But yet my can still is keeping some nasty stuff out of the engine.....

That the dual port injection will force into the combustion chamber instead of attach to the valves...

You are not wrong, but the engine is now designed to handle it and the fuel systems are more robust so we all win there.

Last edited: