CCD makes ride more comfortable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raphy

Reaction score
I happened to drive a F150 for a week. Last weekend, I drove it out of town. There was a section of the free way that was not leveled. When the truck went at 70mph, I can feel the continuous vibration of the car. It feel like want to shake your stomach out.

The expy shares the same platform. I’m wondering if the ride will be similar too. And the CCD suspension is only available up to limited trim with 302a. It makes the car almost fully loaded with 70k+ MSRP.

Does anyone have experience on the ride quality comparison with and without CCD?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the ltd with reg dampers, i love the ride but if you can, ccd is the way to go. I test drove a ccd equipped expy and navi but a lot ppl on here have the higher trim so they can give u better long term ride impressions than i could. With mine As compared to a new f150, the expy doesnt shimmy as much and not as firm(4x4, the 4x2 models are way softer than the 4x4 models and my expy). With that said, the base suspenders on 20in wheels is still pretty firm. As a whole its completely comfortable, somewhat absorbent, great body control and not many truck like motions come through(uneven body shakes, extra harshness, skip like motions). My biggest gripes with the regular suspension is its inconsistency, and lack of wheel travel, esp in the rear. Sometimes my truck is as smooth as glass and is smoother than almost everything ive driven b4. Then at times you feel every bump on the road. Its not egregious, but on roads with alot of imperfections its sometimes annoying. As far as wheel travel, on uneven roads, it will shimmy and it gets busy at times, more than i think it should. All told, its still one of the better riding trucks ive driven, but it only met my expectations not exceeded them and some crossovers ride better admittedly. Best way to describe is its like a trucky feeling crossover actually. From my tests of the ccd, its feels to me a lot more absorbent, way more pillowy, and more luxurious, almost boat like. A lot of ppl dont like it because its 2 soft, but i like that plush wafty feel. Where i believe it excels is its bump isolation as compared to the base suspension. I describe it as a very high modern town car as its not quite european feeling. In all, as i feel the reg suspension is a great riding truck, the ccd makes it in par with the last gen of full sized lux sedans. For ref, Ive driven a 13 bmw 750li and the ccd was better. Sorry if its wordy, prolli get crap because i always ramble heavy in here esp in regards to driving characteristics.

OP
OP
R

Raphy

Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough input. I probably will go have a test drive with one expy with CCD. This is probably the only reason if I want to go with limited trim instead of XLT.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Def drive both. I ordered before they were released, so i based my decision on the previous gen expys. The new gen has a way different feel in both std and ccd setups. I initially wanted an xlt but wifey wanted some features that werent available. If i knew how diff the feel was, i wouldnt spent the extra 3k on a 302. I forgot its easier and cheaper to turn off a feature you have than to replace it if you dont have it.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
The F150 has an independent front suspension and a solid rear axle. The Expedition has independent front AND rear suspensions. So it is probably not a good comparison. A lot of the vibrations you felt probably came from the twist of the rear axle. We have an XLT with the FX4 suspension package so no CCD. Even with the stiffer shocks, it is a considerably smoother ride than my 4X4 2013 F150 (with upgraded Bilsteins) and my wife's old 2010 Ford Escape.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a Platinum or a Limited with CCD care to provide additional thoughts based on your own experience with the ride quality?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone with a Platinum or a Limited with CCD care to provide additional thoughts based on your own experience with the ride quality?

I haven’t driven an XLT or a Limited without the CCD so I have no comparison. But it’s fantastic...smoothest vehicle I ever remember being in. Coming from my F150 it was night and day.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t driven an XLT or a Limited without the CCD so I have no comparison. But it’s fantastic...smoothest vehicle I ever remember being in. Coming from my F150 it was night and day.

Cool, that’s pretty positive. What other cars are you familiar with as far as ride quality, as a point of comparison other than the F150?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife has a 2014 pathfinder and mine is better. My boss has a BMW 6 Series and it feels like it’s got rocks for wheels. I’m in a Land Cruiser when I go hunting and it’s good, but still rides more like an F150.

The Expi with the CCD feels like it has air suspension. It porpoises a little over speed bumps, but if you take them faster than you think you should, the CCD smoothes them out like you’re not even going over a speed bump. It really is wild how smooth it is. I rarely even notice potholes as more than a slight shimmy.

And the drive modes do an excellent job. It’s a bit pillowy in eco and wallows a bit in turns, but in sport there’s really very little body roll...and I don’t mean for a land yacht, I mean there’s very little body roll period.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have CCD and my take is that it is one of the best riding suv's I've even been in. Coming from a Mercedes GL550, I wasn't expecting such an upgraded ride. The Merc was a much stiffer ride than the Expedition. But I prefer the smoother ride of the Expedition.

Very, very happy with the Expedition suspension.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze