CCD makes ride more comfortable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably depends on rim size. I bought the XLT Max and stuck with the 18" wheels, figuring more compliant sidewalls would in part obviate the need for CCD. With the 22", and maybe even the 20", CCD is probably the way to go. Better ride, less vulnerable rims to damage, less expensive, what's not to like? Very happy with the ride quality.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lookin in the 3rd gen threads of other expy forums, no mention of ccd failing at all. Unlike gm, the expy doesnt use any air springs or shocks, which may add to durability. I hrd lincoln is working on an air spring for the navi, if they can fix the durability issue(which to be honest, they did a good job previous gen), and firm up the ride without losing compliance, they have an opportunity to make it and expy the most comfortable rides on the market

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably depends on rim size. I bought the XLT Max and stuck with the 18" wheels, figuring more compliant sidewalls would in part obviate the need for CCD. With the 22", and maybe even the 20", CCD is probably the way to go. Better ride, less vulnerable rims to damage, less expensive, what's not to like? Very happy with the ride quality.

I thought this too. For the 15 through 17s, the xlt base setup was actually somewhat soft, but felt a tad loose on bumps at times. I then drove a ltd version, and it felt much tighter, so i thought the ccd couldnt do much different. They are very much different surprisingly. The 18s actually have a further feel in my opinion. Theres a much different character for how the suspension makes the vehicle feel with and without the ccd. Ford def did a good job tuning it for the most part, and they will only get better of they continue to build upon it. The aviator is getting the same setup with the road sensing camera, i wonder how long it will take for the nav(then expy) to get that version of it. I would think the ride would then get marginally better as well.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CCD shocks are about $700 per corner to replace right now. No idea yet how long they last.

The CCD setup makes a HUGE difference in ride smoothness. Coming from a Lincoln Town Car, I was hesitant to get into a truck at all but I chose the Expedition for its ride quality. The CCD option makes for just about the smoothest and most "plush" ride experience you can get in a vehicle like this.

As has been stated, when comparing to F-150 remember the pickup has a solid rear axle and rear leaf springs and those tend to be stiff. The Expedition has 4-wheel independent suspension with coils in the rear.

Also, the EL/Max models have a longer wheelbase and that gives you an even smoother ride. But, Ford chose to package the CCD with huge 22-inch wheels. The shorter sidewall height on those will help you feel the little bumps more. Yes, it's true that the rubber compound and quality will also make a big difference in ride smoothness.

So, if, like me, you want the smoothest possible ride, choose a MAX with CCD then put 18-inch or 20-inch wheels on it and buy the smoothest riding tires you can get your hands on.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still wanting to drive a nav with 20s, as this setup in the previous gen yielded the best results(softer springs, load leveling, and 20in wheels). Ccd nav is superior to ccd expy. If you could change any aspect of your vehicles ride, wat would it be?

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you say the CCD Nav is better than the CCD Expy? Is it different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mothnuts

Reaction score
I’m kind of surprised you think the Nav CCD is better then the Expy CCD. My boss’s wife has an ‘18 Nav with 22” Michelin Premier’s and his dad has an ‘18 Expy Platinum Max with 22” Michelin Defenders. We drove them back to back for an hour comparing the two, and couldn’t tell much difference in ride. We thought the Nav had less road noise, but part of that could have been the Premier vs Defenders. I suppose the Max might have evened it out, but the difference was negligible. When my Expedition comes in we can compare the standard length Platinum Expy to the standard length Nav., as I plan to put the Defenders on ours as well. The Nav is really sweet, but not sure it’s worth the extra $10,000 to me....actually my wife says she’d be more comfortable in the Expy then the Nav. Whatever...lol.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To me, it had an airier more cossetting feel. I drove them on different roads, though. They both felt great and its been awhile since i drove them.

Metroplex

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Fusion Sport with CCD. You can enable the comfort mode on the FSPORT by using Forscan, otherwise it is normal and sport mode. CCD is nothing special. It appears to use a bunch of sensors to monitor travel and then engages a spool valve to slow the flow of oil. Comfort mode feels soft and compliant with a lot of roll in hard cornering. Sport mode feels like there is more rebound, no change to compression. There is a bridge I drive over every day. In comfort or normal, the car will oscillate badly due to the uneven surfaces. In sport mode, the car remains firm. That's about it. Keep in mind this is a 4100 lb sedan with the 2.7 EcoBoost, but my SHO was heavier and had regular gas strut and shocks. I felt the SHO rode and handled better. CCD is a gimmick in my book.

For really hard cornering like in a hairpin turn, I found comfort mode made the Fusion handle better because the suspension would squish and I could slide the rear easier. Sport mode makes it firmer and results in a bit more understeer, but the CCD overall doesn't feel xonsistent. The pothole mitigation was also a joke, I lost 2 front tires due to potholes because of basically pinch flats from the ridiculously low profile factory tires and soft sidewalls.