CCD makes ride more comfortable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont think the ccd for the fusion and the expy are tuned the same. I would think the parameters and bandwidth of adjustabiluty for the expy are vastly greater for the expy. I never understood why the fusion needed the ccd, the fusion without it rides almost luxuriously smooth. Fords always been hit or miss with their suspension tuning. The fusion was considered too firm upon introduction(se with sport pkg) but now is considered to be one of the best balanced cars. I think dodge/ram probably has the best suspension tuners in the american market, almost all their trucks and vans(pacifica, durango, cherokee, ram 1500, new wrangler) are lauded for their comfort level and only 2 nameplates actually use a setup not using coils.

Ronghua

Reaction score
How to set the default drive mode is eco? I don't want to change the drive mode every time. Thanks!

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about My Key? Isn't there a way to create a "profile" for each driver that saves information such as memory seat/mirror/pedal settings, etc.? Could the CCD drive mode be saved that way?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about My Key? Isn't there a way to create a "profile" for each driver that saves information such as memory seat/mirror/pedal settings, etc.? Could the CCD drive mode be saved that way?
You can program all kinds of stuff to the key but just not the drive mode. The ‘My Key’ is really designed to “program restrictive driving modes to promote good driving habits” per the manual.

Ken Crossman

Reaction score
With CCD, just realize that those shocks won't last forever. When they do need to be replaced, it will not be a cheap fix. Cost of ownership is much much higher if you plan to keep the vehicle more than 50,000 miles.
Has anyone had to replace the shocks on an expy with CCD yet? How do the costs compare to non-CCD expy's? I'm looking to buy a used '17 Limited and choosing between one with CCD and one without. This might be a factor in the decision.

Ken Crossman

Reaction score
CCD shocks are about $700 per corner to replace right now. No idea yet how long they last.

The CCD setup makes a HUGE difference in ride smoothness. Coming from a Lincoln Town Car, I was hesitant to get into a truck at all but I chose the Expedition for its ride quality. The CCD option makes for just about the smoothest and most "plush" ride experience you can get in a vehicle like this.

As has been stated, when comparing to F-150 remember the pickup has a solid rear axle and rear leaf springs and those tend to be stiff. The Expedition has 4-wheel independent suspension with coils in the rear.

Also, the EL/Max models have a longer wheelbase and that gives you an even smoother ride. But, Ford chose to package the CCD with huge 22-inch wheels. The shorter sidewall height on those will help you feel the little bumps more. Yes, it's true that the rubber compound and quality will also make a big difference in ride smoothness.

So, if, like me, you want the smoothest possible ride, choose a MAX with CCD then put 18-inch or 20-inch wheels on it and buy the smoothest riding tires you can get your hands on.

Are there any issues with replacing the stock 22" wheels with 18" or 20" wheels? I read somewhere that the CCD system was "tuned" to the stock wheels, though I have no idea what that means or if it's just jargon.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't read any discussions about it or heard anything confirmed. In theory, there should be no issues with going down to 18's from 22's as long as the overall tire diameter remains the same. But, like I said before, it is certainly possible the programming of the CCD assumes the "unspring mass" of the 22-inch wheels and tires when making its calculations. This is just conjecture, though.

As far as cost, the last time I priced it out CCD shocks were about $700 per corner list price. On FordPartsGiant.com they currently sell for $441 each for the fronts and $395 for the rears.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
When I purchased a year ago I did the comparison on a 15 mile trip. I took three trim levels on the same road that has a multitude of surfaces and the platinum with CCD was the clear winner, especially with the long haul driving that I do.

knowing what I do now, I cannot imagine dropping the cash needed for the Expedition and not getting CCD.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree completely! I tried very hard to get my hands on a '17 Platinum (or the rare Limited with CCD) but I just could not afford it. It's the biggest regret I have about my current truck (which is a fairly loaded XLT).

We also have an '18 Platinum ("Shorty") and I can tell you the '17 EL with CCD set to "Comfort" rides even more smoothly than an '18 non-Max equipped with CCD. The "Comfort" setting provides a "plush" feeling ride. The newer models don't have this setting. I'm told that "Eco" is the most comfortable setting for '18 but it's hardly what I'd call "plush." Also, with the big 22-inch wheels you can still feel every little bump and undulation in the road surface.

I think the long wheelbase '15-'17 with CCD set to "Comfort" is the smoothest ride you'll ever get in one of these trucks -- even better than the older 2007-13 models that had air suspension. It should be even better with 18-inch wheels and taller sidewall tires. I'd really love to see if there's any way to add CCD to a truck that didn't come with it from the factory!