cd radio unit dead whats a good replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkdog812

Reaction score
2004 indash am/fm 6cd changer died. looking to replace it. possible with a nav usb apple /android radio unit.
whats a good replacement recommendation.
thx in advance

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would probably stick with the higher end Pioneer AVIC units. Just depends on how big your budget is. Installation is pretty easy, even if you opt for a backup camera. I would not bother with a unit that has a CD player slot in front over the screen since nobody uses CD's anymore ( the Pioneers have them hidden behind the screen...). All of them have a slot for a Micro SD card, and that has replaced the CD players. The CD slot also took up valuable space that could be better utilized by a slightly bigger screen. Crutchfield has everything you need, including trim kit and additional harness for the overhead DVD player if you have that in your Expy. When I did mine I used a Pioneer NAV unit and door speakers, and a Kicker 8" subwoofer in the stock locations.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html

Last edited:

Kenerator

Reaction score
I recently installed a Kenwood Excelon. Got it at Crutchfield with all the adapters to keep steering wheel controls, etc. Works well and sounds great.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pioneer AVH-NEX2550 is a great unit. The NEX4500 if you want detachable face, auto audio calibration (like a home theater receiver would), and wireless android auto/carplay. I've had a 4500 for about a year and it's been amazing. Wireless android auto is probably the best feature. No wires visible anywhere. I dont even have to take phone out of my pocket. Support for itbgaries based on phone model so be sure to check that out if it is an interest.

The 4600 just came out, it was upgraded to a capacitive screen that's non removable and it's a media receiver only with USB Type C which is a nice touch since most phones can utilize it

Kenwood 9907 is a beast, it's on the short list for the Navigator we recently picked up for my wife. Like it over the 4600 because it to offers a capacitive touch but also has physical buttons where the pioneer is a touch only interface and should something go wrong or you happen to have gloves on you're stuck.

I'm trying to see if the Pioneer DMH-WC6600 will fit w the 9" screen but I'm not sure if itll interfere w the door that usually hides the radio. I've yet to see one in the wild or what lit if any would be available for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01