Center console install in a 2014 Expedition SSV (warning : pic heavy!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, one thing that bothered me about my SSV is that they had removed the metal cop center console (which included arm rests) and there was nowhere to rest my right arm, not to even mention the very limited amount of storage in the truck... something was definitely amiss!

As such, I decided to rectify the problem by going to a local junk yard and getting a center console. Since my Expy has a steering column shifter (I love it!), I needed a center console from a truck with a similar setup. The bone yard didn't have any suiting Expeditions or F150s, but they did have a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer... with a center console that had ample storage, plus it was the right color! (beige)

I knew right off the bat that the console would require some trimming, but it was the right overall dimensions, height and style. My Expy still had the metal bracket holders and, since I didn't want to drill into the floor, I had to rig up something with the existing brackets:

001.jpg

A wooden plank (maple, I think) about 1" thick and 7.25" wide was the perfect solution for a base. I added a piece of 2 x 6 at the bottom near the end to compensate for the tranny sticking out of the floor:

002.jpg

I then used a few pieces of wood to build up a support for the storage compartment with the leather-like lid, which I later drilled through the bottom of it to secure with extra screws (not pictured).

I had to remove the stock rear climate air ducts from the 2004 Explorer console, which was easy to do (just a few screws). I then was able to attach the console to the wooden base, after trimming the right angle with a Dremel at the front, so it would fit under the dash :

004.jpg

**The Dremel trimming went well, but took several tries to get it right. I have some fine car door trim molding with 3M tape en route from China (eBay) to finish the trimmed edge right.

I then took it out again and painted the wood and screws black:

006.jpg

Here are some final pics. Note that I installed it before cleaning it... the console came from the scrap yard all dirty and sticky, whoever had it before never cleaned the interior of their truck, lol. I cleaned it once the installation was finalized, after these pictures were taken :

003.jpg

005.jpg

All clearances perfect... almost like it was made for the SSV!

007.jpg

010.jpg

Now I've got me fake rear climate controls, lol! :biggrin:

008.jpg

...and rear cup holders!!!! :birgits_tiredcoffee

009.jpg

Last thing I need to do is to wire the 2 extra cigarette lighter sockets in the console to the one in the dash. Extra sockets are always welcome! (this console has one in the front and one in the back)

All in all, I am very happy with the result. The console is sturdy and very functional, plus I like the fact that it's not as thick as the stock Expedition / F150 console, as there's more space between the seat and center console.

Last edited:

samseetin14

Reaction score
You sir, are my freaking hero! I have a cheesy aftermarket 1, and have scoured the internet countless times to rectify this. I know what I’m doing this coming weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sir, are my freaking hero! I have a cheesy aftermarket 1, and have scoured the internet countless times to rectify this. I know what I’m doing this coming weekend!!

No problem, my pleasure! :)

By the way, I edited my original post: I believe the 2004 Explorer this console came out of was actually the Eddie Bauer edition, not the Limited.

(just in case it makes a difference)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty cool

The one I wouldn't mind is the jumpseat/console.... wonder if the F150/F250 ones are the same, or only the '07 - '08 rare 9-seat Expedition version fits without a fight?

Screenshot_2019-09-02-23-18-11.png Screenshot_2019-09-02-23-18-13.png Screenshot_2019-09-02-23-18-17.png

But oh well, I guess with aftermarket leather in an odd color that ship has sailed

OP
OP
762mm

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoa! That jump seat option is awesome, I haven't thought of that...

Oh well, too late to go back now... :D

10-4 on the red oak plank, by the way. It's "black oak" now since it's all painted to match the floor and brackets, haha!