Change plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawkeye

Reaction score
I just bought a 2008 (2 piece plugs) with 140,000. It runs great with no codes. I don't know any of the service history and was wondering if I should change out the spark plugs. It could have a 1000 miles on the current ones or they may be original. Thanks!!!

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were mine & I knew they were 2 piece, I would replace. But that is just the lazy side of me. I hat to look back & think coulda, shoulda, woulda. :emotions122::banghead: :emotions122::banghead:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it runs great then I would let it continue to run great ....at least for now. Run it and get to know your new purchase before you fix something that ain’t broken.

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
Little trick to try once you do decide to pull a plug - make sure the plug well is clean first - then squirt a little bit of PB Blaster or Deep Creep in the hole before "breaking" the plug loose. Just break it loose, then let the oil work its way through the threads for a few minutes, then carefully remove the plug.

My understanding is that the 2-pc spark plugs break because of deposits over time building up around that extended tip, and they typically break around where that tip is welded onto the main spark plug body. The penetrating oil should break those deposits down over time enough to where the plugs can be removed. If you meet resistance at any point, stop and put more oil down the tube and let it work for you.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The engine build date is on a label on the left valve cover. Those engines built on or after 10/9/07 do not have the problematic "two-piece" sparkplugs.

My 2008 is after that date and it has regular plugs that came right out.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Little trick to try once you do decide to pull a plug - make sure the plug well is clean first - then squirt a little bit of PB Blaster or Deep Creep in the hole before "breaking" the plug loose. Just break it loose, then let the oil work its way through the threads for a few minutes, then carefully remove the plug.

My understanding is that the 2-pc spark plugs break because of deposits over time building up around that extended tip, and they typically break around where that tip is welded onto the main spark plug body. The penetrating oil should break those deposits down over time enough to where the plugs can be removed. If you meet resistance at any point, stop and put more oil down the tube and let it work for you.

i completely agree with cleaning out the well, and squirting in PB blaster or some such. BUT - if i can break it loose, aren't I done? or do they break even AFTER they are loose?

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were mine & I knew they were 2 piece, I would replace. But that is just the lazy side of me. I hat to look back & think coulda, shoulda, woulda. :emotions122::banghead: :emotions122::banghead:

I hear that! Same thinking had me replacing the Ford two piece lug nuts with solid ones. Last thing I want is trouble changing a flat under less then ideal conditions.