Changed out halogen for LED today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jreidg3

Reaction score
A61801F4-9635-40A5-9561-985CCC9B0D87.jpegI finally changed out the ugly halogens for LEDs on my 2018 limited today. So much cleaner looking and much more crisp going down the road at night. I used switchback bulbs for the fog lights. I had already used these on my Honda Pilot. They work great and are really distinct in rain/snow/fog. Fair warning that installing the switch back bulb on the drivers side fog light required me to pull back slightly on the metal bracket behind the bulb. Nothing major at all but you need just a smidge more room to sneak the bulb in. Install was super easy once I located my 5.5mm socket to remove the three wheel well screws to access all three bulbs. The high beam and low beam led ballasts were able to be tucked inside the headlight housing and reinstall the rubber dust cap. I looped the fog light led ballast around the fog light housing to shorten it up a little and keep it from banging around.

Products purchased on Amazon:
SEALIGHT 9005/HB3 H11/H9 14000LM LED Bulbs Combo Package CSP Chips 6000K Cool White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K438ZQ...abc_XR42QJR2ZXCECS6XG91C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ALLA Lighting H8 H9 H11 LED Switchback Fog Lights, High, Low Beam Conversion Kits, DRL, Dual Color 6000K White/3200K Yellow 12V H16 H8LL H11LL H965W, Extremely Super Bright 8000 Lumens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KM3WTW...abc_94NVVJZGW8MJBV2GKGJ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 6AE21101-EF7A-4253-85A1-3DE811EC11D0.jpeg
    6AE21101-EF7A-4253-85A1-3DE811EC11D0.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 6B46CB3A-A3F7-4764-B713-850ECD82705B.jpeg
    6B46CB3A-A3F7-4764-B713-850ECD82705B.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 67
  • A875C1ED-793D-409E-9F75-1C8496ECE488.jpeg
    A875C1ED-793D-409E-9F75-1C8496ECE488.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 67

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The high beam bulbs seem worse then the stock Philips halogen that came out… I may end up going back to a version of the Philips Halogen. I’m waiting on BriScource Lighting to get the newer Philips LED units back in stock to order those. Philips LEDs are pricey but it’s a brand I’ve come to trust…

Last edited:

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Nice! Have you noticed any flicker? I have the headlight revolution sv.4 led lights and notice they flicker from time to time. Love them otherwise.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice! Have you noticed any flicker? I have the headlight revolution sv.4 led lights and notice they flicker from time to time. Love them otherwise.
The Sealight highs and fogs have not flickered yet. If you’re running an LED in your low beams and you have the DRLs on then it may flicker without an external driver device designed to mitigate the pulse wave and low voltage draw of the DLRs.

Once the Philips 9005 LEDs come in for the low beam projectors I’ll be able to give my take on their cost vs performance. GTR has higher lumen (light output) and Lux ( distance light is thrown) LED bulbs for roughly the same price but I feel it’s a trade off power vs usable light and longevity of the bulb components.

The Sealight X1 high beams appear to have a lower Lux output then the stock Philips H9s I pulled out. I’ll run them for a few weeks to get a feel for them. But I’m not overly impressed right now. Also the 6k color is to blue for good visibility needs to be be somewhere between 5k to 5500k for best usage.

The Sealight F2 fogs (H11s) appear to throw more usable light than the stock H8 halogens that we’re removed from the housings. For the price I’m liking them so far.

kodigray2015

Reaction score
I switched my halogen bulbs over to Lasfit LED bulbs for the HB3 (low) & H9 (highs) and love them. They are 6,000k and have a little bit more blue color to them than I really want but they work so much better than the stock crap. There is not a lot of options out there if any in the 5-5,000k range.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
The Sealight highs and fogs have not flickered yet. If you’re running an LED in your low beams and you have the DRLs on then it may flicker without an external driver device designed to mitigate the pulse wave and low voltage draw of the DLRs.

Once the Philips 9005 LEDs come in for the low beam projectors I’ll be able to give my take on their cost vs performance. GTR has higher lumen (light output) and Lux ( distance light is thrown) LED bulbs for roughly the same price but I feel it’s a trade off power vs usable light and longevity of the bulb components.

The Sealight X1 high beams appear to have a lower Lux output then the stock Philips H9s I pulled out. I’ll run them for a few weeks to get a feel for them. But I’m not overly impressed right now. Also the 6k color is to blue for good visibility needs to be be somewhere between 5k to 5500k for best usage.

The Sealight F2 fogs (H11s) appear to throw more usable light than the stock H8 halogens that we’re removed from the housings. For the price I’m liking them so far.
Great response! I bought the headlight revolution LEDs to replace my low-beam and fog lights. It was night and day difference once I swapped them from the crappy halogen bulbs included. The LEDs provide so much light it’s insane.

I’m only disappointed that for how much I paid for the headlight revolution LEDs I would think they wouldn’t flicker. It’s not often, but when it happens it’s very noticeable because of how much light they output. Especially when the car turns on during auto start/stop.

I’ll take a look at the LEDs you mentioned.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got the new Philips 9005 lights in on Tuesday and installed them yesterday afternoon. They are very crisp with a nice white light and the cutoff is sharp... They suffer the same thing all LEDs in halogen reflectors do and that's the central dead spot in the middle but it's not noticeable while behind the wheel. The Philips do have an intermittent flicker and from the research I've done last night and this morning it may be due to the BCM sending a signal to check for a bulb outage. I also ordered new dust caps to properly encompass the bulb as the stock ones don't stick out far enough to seal properly. Ordered 83mm dome dust caps and they should be delivered on Monday.

I've ordered one of the OBD2 cables that is compatible with forscan and will be installing forscan this weekend. I'll go through some of the body control module codes that the F150 guys have changed to stop the flicker and see if that works.

bullgator82

Reaction score
I took the advice of several on this board and installed the 6k sealight highs and lows on my wife’s 2020 XLT max. Best investment I made for vehicle thus far other than weather-tech matt’s. ( have 4 little ones) color is more bluish white as others have stated but visibility is amazing. Have not seen a flicker yet. Amazon links are posted in thread I found in search.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
So I got the new Philips 9005 lights in on Tuesday and installed them yesterday afternoon. They are very crisp with a nice white light and the cutoff is sharp... They suffer the same thing all LEDs in halogen reflectors do and that's the central dead spot in the middle but it's not noticeable while behind the wheel. The Philips do have an intermittent flicker and from the research I've done last night and this morning it may be due to the BCM sending a signal to check for a bulb outage. I also ordered new dust caps to properly encompass the bulb as the stock ones don't stick out far enough to seal properly. Ordered 83mm dome dust caps and they should be delivered on Monday.

I've ordered one of the OBD2 cables that is compatible with forscan and will be installing forscan this weekend. I'll go through some of the body control module codes that the F150 guys have changed to stop the flicker and see if that works.
Great! Let us know if changing the codes stops the flicker.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I notice this same flicker intermittently. It seems a bit distracting, so if you have the code to eliminate it, please post back either way.