Changing out all coolant and heater hoses...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Has anyone done or had this job done? If done at a shop, what should I expect to pay?

This includes all the radiator coolant and heater including the rear hose that carries coolant for the rear climate control feature.

Thanks.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changing the hoses is easy. You'll need a pair of hose pliers ideally for the spring type clamps, but a sturdy pair of pliers should work. After install, you'll want to either jack front end, or park on a grade to help get air out of expansion coolant tank. If you want to do job 100 percent, see if you can replace front heater core in/out hoses too. Ideally if original, all coolant hoses under hood should be changed. But due to coil's getting wet, I'd leave those be for now.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Changing the hoses is easy. You'll need a pair of hose pliers ideally for the spring type clamps, but a sturdy pair of pliers should work. After install, you'll want to either jack front end, or park on a grade to help get air out of expansion coolant tank. If you want to do job 100 percent, see if you can replace front heater core in/out hoses too. Ideally if original, all coolant hoses under hood should be changed. But due to coil's getting wet, I'd leave those be for now.

Just got quote $1000.00 including new coolant, all front and rear hoses radiator and heater

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The heater hoses are a real dog to change and all are "quick connects" that aren't quick to disconnect. The Ford ones aren't cheap either.

The high quote considers the good chance of messing up the heater core or radiator while trying to wrench those old brittle bast#rds off.

You really wanna go and poke this sleepin' giant in January?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can remove clamps, use a razor blade to slit old hoses. If you have $1,000 to throw at shop, go for it. If you want to make the job easier replace spring clamps with regular screw type. Double clamp them if you want a real tight fit on upper and lower hoses.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The reason for tidying up the ole gal is that I am towing my boat to Florida from Chicago early summer and I want to get everything done now so I can put miles on after the services are performed rather than getting everything done right before and hitting the road only to find out something went wrong. Ask me how I know this!

To Do List:

Already done:
All differential fluids and transfer case changed
axle seals replaced
Cat-back exhaust
Coolant ( I know)
power steering fluid flushed
brake fluid flushed

Planned:
Motor and tranny mounts
All coolant hoses, radiator and heater
Add on tranny cooler w new lines

What am I forgetting? Or is recommended?

P.S. the boat, trailer, rigged out max 3200lbs.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most important, tranny service fluid and filter. If yours is 2002 or older, you can cheat like I did, and drain pan, and torque converter through little drain bolt. Can't do that on 03 on up, as no drain bolts. Gotta pull pan, and can't drain converter at all. What year is the Expedition? What motor/trans?

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Most important, tranny service fluid and filter. If yours is 2002 or older, you can cheat like I did, and drain pan, and torque converter through little drain bolt. Can't do that on 03 on up, as no drain bolts. Gotta pull pan, and can't drain converter at all. What year is the Expedition? What motor

It’s a 2000 EB 4x4 5.4 and just flushed tranny at dealer 3 mos ago

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason for tidying up the ole gal is that I am towing my boat to Florida from Chicago early summer and I want to get everything done now so I can put miles on after the services are performed rather than getting everything done right before and hitting the road only to find out something went wrong. Ask me how I know this!

To Do List:

Already done:
All differential fluids and transfer case changed
axle seals replaced
Cat-back exhaust
Coolant ( I know)
power steering fluid flushed
brake fluid flushed

Planned:
Motor and tranny mounts
All coolant hoses, radiator and heater
Add on tranny cooler w new lines

What am I forgetting? Or is recommended?

P.S. the boat, trailer, rigged out max 3200lbs.

ok, why the Trans cooler? What gears does Expy have? If it has 3.73 it already has the tow package and larger trans cooler. How big is the boat you are towing, don't forget they are very aerodynamic, vs say a camper, alot easier to tow.

I would agree why change those hoses? I agree that you are poking the bear, and wouldn't do them. I can understand doing a new thermostat and coolant bit not the hoses

Don't understand the engine and Tranny mounts either?