Check 4x4 in 4L Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the subject says I am getting the "Check 4x4" with a wrench sign when I try to shift into 4L only. I thought it was the 4WD transfer control motor (2011 w/ 155K miles) so I replaced it, which is a super easy job.

Bolted everything back up, cleared the computer, restarted it and everything shifts just fine but still a no go for 4L.

I do not anticipate needing it hardly at all (do go into corn fields after rains to pull out empty wagons at harvest) but I like my vehicle to function as it should. When I have tried shifting to 4L I am always in park.

Appreciate helpful thoughts on this.

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on this... What was posted worked but I had to cycle thru a couple of times, and drive a few feet, put the vehicle in neutral with foot on the brake, and then went to 4L. Thanks for the help.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, didn't it say put in neutral on the dash display, when you selected 4L?

It knew what it wanted. You just wouldn't give it. Lol

You're right. That is an easy replacement though, that motor. It is probably the easiest job of any on that truck, that is a major function.

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI, didn't it say put in neutral on the dash display, when you selected 4L?

It knew what it wanted. You just wouldn't give it. Lol

You're right. That is an easy replacement though, that motor. It is probably the easiest job of any on that truck, that is a major function.
It did not for some reason and would have been helpful. Even turned the dial slowly because I thought I had been turning it too fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze