check advancetrac + multiple systems failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solidpvc

Reaction score
2003 ford expedition, Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L

codes: ENG $28 -U1900 - controller area network communication bus malfunction
receive function.

The issue I'm having is I get the check advancetrac message in the message center which comes on just after I get advance trac on, advance trac off when turning the key on. The traction control warning light on the dash is on, the 4hi and 4low lights on the dash blink. I have a host of other systems that seemed to have fail at the same time. They include:

4x4 doesn't work
Seat Heat and a/c doesn't work
The door sensors are not working (open the door the lights do not come on and I get no door ajar indication).
The radio doesn't turn off when the doors are opened.
The doors don't lock automatically when the vehicle starts moving.
The drives seat and mirrors don't automatically adjust when the key is in/turned on.
Traction control system not operating

Can someone please help me? I don't know what/where to check. I check all the fuses in the fuse box with a meter and they were all good. I removed the fuse box and didn't see any corrosion on any of the connectors. I also removed the 4x4 module and I didn't see any issues with the wiring/connectors or any issues with the board it's self.

Thanks
Tom.

OP
OP
S

solidpvc

Reaction score
Here's an update if anyone is interested.

After locating, removing and checking almost all the modules and their connectors, I found the problem. The violet wire (ubp circuit) that runs to all the modules (stability assist, climate controlled seat, parking aid, vsm etc...) was broken.

It was broken under the drivers side kick plate about 6-8 inches from where the wire bundle comes off the A pillar. The union from 1-3 wires is where it was broken. The ends of the break were corroded. I'm not sure what caused it to break but, once I fixed it, all the issues went away except for the check advancetrac message, advancetrac off issue.

The only code I get now it a C1998 and the recommended fix is to reprogram the stability assist module. I didn't get this code until I unplugged the module and turned the key on (with it unplugged).

Hope this helps others.

Tom.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the update. im sure it will help someone.

OP
OP
S

solidpvc

Reaction score
No problem. Just hoping it will help someone.

Does anyone have any info on the C1998 code? The scanner I have says the top fixes are to have the stability assist module/system reprogrammed. Has anyone else had that done or found a fix for it?

Thanks
Tom.

derek416

Reaction score
Solidpvc: I am having exactly the same problems with my 2003 expedition with the:
4x4 doesn't work
The door sensors are not working (open the door the lights do not come on and I get no door ajar indication).
The drives seat and mirrors don't automatically adjust when the key is in/turned on.

Where do you find the wires that you were saying were corroded? I don't know much about fixing things on cars, but if its something I can do myself instead of spending lots of money to get it fixed, then I will try. Can you email me and tell me what all you had to do to fix the problems? My email is [email protected] I am getting desperate and have been searching for help for a while and this is the first time I saw that someone else had the exact same problem as me!

Thanks

DonM

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you for this. I have 03 EB with exactly the same problems, except for the Advance Trac issue. I'll check this out tomorrow.
This is my first post, and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience here, and everyone's willingness to help.

snowfreak13

Reaction score
Thank you soldpvc (Tom)

Tom,

Just wanted to throw a MAJOR thank you out there. After an incredible amount of time troubleshooting this this issue (over a year on and off and endless $), I stumbled across this thread and read your post. Last night, I pulled the kick panel off and immediately saw the violet wire going into the 3-way. It looked fine but I figured I'd split it apart and check anyway. To my surprise when I cut it apart, all 4 ends of the wires were broken and green from corrosion. A simple connector and some tape resolved all of the issues. I assume this issue is caused by the dreaded water leak these things have. Nonetheless, it is all back to normal. I built these things for Ford for 10 years at the Michigan Truck Plant and know them inside and out but this issue....WOW, it was a tough one. Again, thank you for taking the time to repost and share your fix.

Joe

2003 ford expedition, Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L

codes: ENG $28 -U1900 - controller area network communication bus malfunction
receive function.

The issue I'm having is I get the check advancetrac message in the message center which comes on just after I get advance trac on, advance trac off when turning the key on. The traction control warning light on the dash is on, the 4hi and 4low lights on the dash blink. I have a host of other systems that seemed to have fail at the same time. They include:

4x4 doesn't work

Can someone please help me? I don't know what/where to check. I check all the fuses in the fuse box with a meter and they were all good. I removed the fuse box and didn't see any corrosion on any of the connectors. I also removed the 4x4 module and I didn't see any issues with the wiring/connectors or any issues with the board it's self.

Thanks
Tom.

Cpcrnch

Reaction score
Another one fixed thanks to this thread, unbelievable !!! Just wanted to add this also fixed my seat heat controls, 4x4, rear lift hatch, radio won't shut off problems... Thanks again for taking the time to write down your experience , without it, I was going the complete wrong direction, and probably would have spent a fortune at ford... Just want to add that the placement of the wires in question were purple/violet, on the floor, so I needed the sill plate as well as the kick plate off, I got confused for a bit.. But whoever this helps out next.. They are the 4 purple wires sliced together, on the floor... Thanks again

DonM

Reaction score
You may not believe this! As mentioned above, mine was doing the same thing. I planned to look for the problem on a Thursday, after parking the vehicle Wednesday night. Went out Thursday to get started on it and NOTHING would work.
All systems dead. Did all the obvious checks and nothing. Finally called a mechanic I know from Ford who brought his computer out and he couldn't even get a reading.
Had it towed to the dealership and after a couple of days they called and said it had been hit by lightening! We had had a thunderstorm Wednesday night, but I had no idea lightening had hit it. Needed numerous clusters, modules, etc.
Fortunately I had full coverage insurance on it.
After they worked on it, got parts in and the bill got to about $4,000., it still had problems--check engine light, which turned out to be O2 sensors, seat belt pre-tensioner, etc. The insurance adjuster called and told me enough was enough, he was totaling it out! Cut me a check for $6,200 (vehicle had 180,000 miles). They offered to sell it back to me for $2,000. but I opted to let it go.
I had just put four new tires on it, but they let me replace them with some old used ones.
Now I have purchased an 06 EB in immaculate condition with the insurance money plus $500. Everything works great now! It has all the service records from the dealership since it was new. I even have an extra set of new tires.
I hope the violet wire doesn't break on it! :)
Thanks for this great forum anyway.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

I have posted this many times with the hope that it will help others Get yourself a copy of a;

Ford workshop manual on DVD. Can be obtained from seller "morpheousking" on e-bay. Cost about $10.00 Much better than Clymer, Haynes or Chilton and also includes wiring diagrams

Don't waste your money on a Clymer, Haynes or Chilton Manual.
It is well worth the $10.00 just make sure you get the DVD for your year as the seller has different DVD's for different years
Sad to say but the seller has increased his prices to $20.00

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkxr4