"Check Air Suspension" on potholes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomChampion

Reaction score
I've been a spectator for awhile but this is my first post here. I've got a 2008 Expedition with around 200k on the odometer. In the last year or so I've been getting nuisance "Check Air Suspension" lights anytime I hit a significant bump or pothole in the road. It does seem to be more sensitive on hot days but it's definitely getting more frequent.

I haven't been able to find much information on the web about it and was wondering if anyone has had similar issues. I'm leaning towards ride height sensors but can't even find a place that sells them for my model year. The only time it seems to affect the performance of the system is if I happen to have a heavier load or trailer on (rear will start to sag after awhile.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I've been a spectator for awhile but this is my first post here. I've got a 2008 Expedition with around 200k on the odometer. In the last year or so I've been getting nuisance "Check Air Suspension" lights anytime I hit a significant bump or pothole in the road. It does seem to be more sensitive on hot days but it's definitely getting more frequent.

I haven't been able to find much information on the web about it and was wondering if anyone has had similar issues. I'm leaning towards ride height sensors but can't even find a place that sells them for my model year. The only time it seems to affect the performance of the system is if I happen to have a heavier load or trailer on (rear will start to sag after awhile.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the late response but i was having the same issue last week and found it to be the left(drivers Side) height sensor. When i removed the sensor i had a tight spot in the middle of the stroke and it should be a smooth stroke the entire way. My code was clearing automatically in the info display but stored a code when i read it with forscan

OP
OP
T

TomChampion

Reaction score
Were you able to repair the sticking sensor or did you have to replace it? I've only found new ones through the dealership and they're wanting almost $200 each!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently the year and slightly different designs makes a big difference now.
The 03-06 on ebay are cheap- under 40.00.
I think I looked for newer and no good options.

OP
OP
T

TomChampion

Reaction score
Hopefully I can get something figured out soon. I hooked up my travel trailer with the weight-distributing hitch this weekend and the air ride system did not like it!

20190316_165448.jpg

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Ford parts giant has them for under $80 each. Enter the vin to get the correct one for you're truck

Screenshot_20190318-191640_Chrome.jpg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At those prices I would get a Dremel tool and take one apart at the seam. Once you slide it apart you would be able to clean or Lube the contacts inside and sand down the shaft that comes through the front so it's not binding anymore. It's just like a volume control inside for a fuel sending unit basically. You're going to throw it away anyways and it's easy enough to bolt on to see if it works well after you attempt to fix it. Just seal it back with some good RTV sealant some more she doesn't get in and it could last for years.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
At those prices I would get a Dremel tool and take one apart at the seam. Once you slide it apart you would be able to clean or Lube the contacts inside and sand down the shaft that comes through the front so it's not binding anymore. It's just like a volume control inside for a fuel sending unit basically. You're going to throw it away anyways and it's easy enough to bolt on to see if it works well after you attempt to fix it. Just seal it back with some good RTV sealant some more she doesn't get in and it could last for years.
Funny you should say that because that was my original plan and when I cut it open it was destroyed. The failure was definitely caused by moisture finding it's way in and with the amount of corrosion inside it was way beyond repair.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny you should say that because that was my original plan and when I cut it open it was destroyed. The failure was definitely caused by moisture finding it's way in and with the amount of corrosion inside it was way beyond repair.
Shucks!