Check charging station

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinmiz75

Reaction score
Hello, I have an 04 expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 v8. My check charging station keeps coming on. My battery is good, and the alternator has been replaced twice in 2 months. I was told it could be the PCM.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This issue has been covered dozens of times. Generally it's caused by installing the wrong amperage alternator or just a poor quality rebuilt alternators from the discount parts stores.
What is the amp rating and brand of alternators you've been installing? Unless you have FACTORY navigation option, it should be a 110 amp alternator. Anything else will trigger an error from the PCM and you'll get the message on your instrument cluster.

DJ04

Reaction score
Factory Navigation system has been mentioned numerous times. With that system is a 135 AMP alternator needed? The Ford Parts online system calls out a 110 AMP unit. What's going on? I am confused. 2004 Expe, Eddie Bauer, 5.4 L 4x4 with Factory Nav, fancy radio with 6 CD changer.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Factory Navigation system has been mentioned numerous times. With that system is a 135 AMP alternator needed? The Ford Parts online system calls out a 110 AMP unit. What's going on? I am confused. 2004 Expe, Eddie Bauer, 5.4 L 4x4 with Factory Nav, fancy radio with 6 CD changer.
For a member to get an alert you must quote them as i have you
or you can mention them by putting the "@" symbol in front of their name
@Hamfisted

DJ04

Reaction score
Hamfisted said:
This issue has been covered dozens of times. Generally it's caused by installing the wrong amperage alternator or just a poor quality rebuilt alternators from the discount parts stores.
What is the amp rating and brand of alternators you've been installing? Unless you have FACTORY navigation option, it should be a 110 amp alternator. Anything else will trigger an error from the PCM and you'll get the message on your instrument cluster.

I am confused. The online FORD parts lookup has a 110 amp alternator for my Expy which is an '04 Eddie Bauer with everything on it (I did not buy it new) including the Factory Navigation System. I have read on this forum abut 135 amp alternators being the right ones and that does not match the online Ford call.