Check electronic limited slip differential message then car powers down to save battery.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
You can keep dismissing peoples suggestions, or you can check things. Bottom line, you have a voltage issue. The the battery control module is sensing low voltage and telling other modules that aren't required to keep the vehicle running to shut down to conserve power. Examples are the ELSD, and the APIM/Sync. So either you have a bad Battery Control Module, or the more likely scenario, a loose connection somewhere. If you Alternator has been replaced, I would double check all the connections and make sure they were all connected and secure. Actually check them.

Also, a scan tool is your friend, pull codes, they might tell you a root cause.
Which scan tool would you recommend? not dissmissing anything and looking for another point of view.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Very welcome. Post all the codes once you get them. Also, did you make any changes to disable Start/Stop?
Yes Thank you so much for all the suggestions. . Yes scan tool is your best friend. I also disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while hope to reset the computer re read sensor. SCAN tool indicated a oxygen sensor part number 17468. The part auto one had did not fit. Drove two hour and so far it has not re appeared. Then next morning it reappeared again but this time the battery was dead. Quick stop at walmart and purchased new battery. No changes to start and stop.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes Thank you so much for all the suggestions. . Yes scan tool is your best friend. I also disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while hope to reset the computer re read sensor. SCAN tool indicated a oxygen sensor part number 17468. The part auto one had did not fit. Drove two hour and so far it has not re appeared. Then next morning it reappeared again but this time the battery was dead. Quick stop at walmart and purchased new battery. No changes to start and stop.
Battery was dead? Are you SURE the alternator is good? How old was the battery you just replaced? Bad battery or a dead cell in the battery could have been causing all of your issues.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
Battery was dead? Are you SURE the alternator is good? How old was the battery you just replaced? Bad battery or a dead cell in the battery could have been causing all of your issues.

New battery May 2022. Installed new battery guy

Bad battery cell. We stopped at Walmart, and they attempted to charge the battery, which would not hold. I purchased a new battery. Then the tester indicates a bad alternator good battery. Assuming my code reader is correct, this time the voltage would sit around 12-12.5 which is not enough to charge the battery. Regulator on the alternator was play tricks on me. Either way Dropped car off at Ford dealership in Albuquerque, NM and they are going to install a new alternator. So I will have new battery and new alternator. And back on the road. As all indicated with an electrical issue make sure new battery and alternator. And will go from there. Guessing now regulator in the alternator is bad caused high voltage then low voltage so battery was not charging. that is a guess. Either way will have a new one now. Have to add that I contacted Ford warranty or corporate directly. They offered that we could leave the Expedition at the dealership, and they would provide a rental for us to continue our journey to Tamps, FL area. Very nice offer but could not find a rental that would allow us to tow our Trailer. I do have an extended warranty hoping all will be still covered. Either way we should be on the road tomorrow. Hopefully no more issues.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New battery May 2022. Installed new battery guy

Bad battery cell. We stopped at Walmart, and they attempted to charge the battery, which would not hold. I purchased a new battery. Then the tester indicates a bad alternator good battery. Assuming my code reader is correct, this time the voltage would sit around 12-12.5 which is not enough to charge the battery. Regulator on the alternator was play tricks on me. Either way Dropped car off at Ford dealership in Albuquerque, NM and they are going to install a new alternator. So I will have new battery and new alternator. And back on the road. As all indicated with an electrical issue make sure new battery and alternator. And will go from there. Guessing now regulator in the alternator is bad caused high voltage then low voltage so battery was not charging. that is a guess. Either way will have a new one now. Have to add that I contacted Ford warranty or corporate directly. They offered that we could leave the Expedition at the dealership, and they would provide a rental for us to continue our journey to Tamps, FL area. Very nice offer but could not find a rental that would allow us to tow our Trailer. I do have an extended warranty hoping all will be still covered. Either way we should be on the road tomorrow. Hopefully no more issues.
OK, it might not be the regulator. Your Expedition has a BMS, Battery management/Monitor System. If it is not hooked up correctly, or needs to be reset becuase of all the swapping of batteries, it will cause those weird voltage readings. I suggest a dealership visit to reset the system, or you can try this process:

The Alternator might not be bad at all.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
OK, it might not be the regulator. Your Expedition has a BMS Battery management/Monitor System. If it is not hooked up correctly or needs to be reset because of all the swapping of batteries, it will cause those weird voltage readings. I suggest a dealership visit to reset the system, or you can try this process:

The Alternator might not be bad at all.
Awesome video; thank you for sharing. I did have my expedition on a charger before our trip wonder how that affects the charging system or the BMS. Plus new battery was installed in May 2022. Now I had another new battery installed on June 4th, 2023. Now Ford dealership is installing a new alternator, so we are on hold until then. Maybe if we were at home could have some time to troubleshoot the problem further. Attached is what would show on the display prior to the auto shutting down. Hopefully, both the new battery and the new alternator will resolve the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_3424.jpeg
    IMG_3424.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome video; thank you for sharing. I did have my expedition on a charger before our trip wonder how that affects the charging system or the BMS. Plus new battery was installed in May 2022. Now I had another new battery installed on June 4th, 2023. Now Ford dealership is installing a new alternator, so we are on hold until then. Maybe if we were at home could have some time to troubleshoot the problem further. Attached is what would show on the display prior to the auto shutting down. Hopefully, both the new battery and the new alternator will resolve the issue.
Yeah, if at a dealer, they should do the reset procedure. You should be good. They will do it via FDRS(Dealer Diag/Programming Software). Wish you luck!

If you disconnected the battery and charged it, you are good. If you left it connected while charging and the leads were hooked directly to the battery, it could have caused issues possibly. - FYI