checking the HVAC controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dehler25

Reaction score
Is there a technique to operationally check the AC controller? My 2001 is stuck on the defroster, the AC leaked down but the unit refuses to shift away. I am not even convinced that it is electrical and not pneumatic, and obviously have not pulled it out yet. A stuck baffle would behave the same.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop the hood and look for vacuum leaks in the vacuum supply line running from the intake, through the firewall grommet, to the control solenoid under the dash. Loss of vacuum will default the air vent to the Defrost position.

OP
OP
D

dehler25

Reaction score
will chase that out, I pulled the controller and was surprised there were no pneumatics at all so the controller simply operates the solenoids, got it! I loaned the vehicle out and it won't go into park without effort, I adjusted the indicator position but that didn't help.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
will chase that out, I pulled the controller and was surprised there were no pneumatics at all so the controller simply operates the solenoids, got it! I loaned the vehicle out and it won't go into park without effort, I adjusted the indicator position but that didn't help.

It used to go into the Park position with no issue before you loaned it to somebody ?
Check the safety switch on the side of the transmission where the cable connects, maybe it's loose or got moved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze