Cleaning up the rear bumper step trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Duplicolor flat black vinyl & fabric spray on the latch trim compared to bumper pad not yet done.

32CEAF96-B7AE-47BE-AE72-0F8B85865CBE.jpeg

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BB2F76C5-3329-4F44-94AA-B6B60D77EAF2.png I totally forgot about this one. I’ve not used it, don’t know if it’s gloss or flat.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess I’m committed to recoloring all the interior trim panels now. The side panel hasn’t been cleaned yet. I wasn’t sure I wanted true black over the oem dark charcoal, but I like it better clean & new looking. Original finish is looking bad even after cleaning.

I’ll do the bumper pad after I get the carpet back in.

08B68AC0-F4B6-40BA-AE22-A2ACB6A3275E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess I’m committed to recoloring all the interior trim panels now. The side panel hasn’t been cleaned yet. I wasn’t sure I wanted true black over the oem dark charcoal, but I like it better clean & new looking. Original finish is looking bad even after cleaning.

I’ll do the bumper pad after I get the carpet back in.

View attachment 40129

Did you do the bumper pad yet? I got my new one and need to know how to get the old one off. Haven't been able to find any info on this, hoping I don't have to remove the whole bumper.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you do the bumper pad yet? I got my new one and need to know how to get the old one off. Haven't been able to find any info on this, hoping I don't have to remove the whole bumper.

You have to remove the rear bumper facia to change out that trim pad. No way to get to the fasteners with it on the Expy.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t done mine yet. I was focusing on the interior while waiting for the new transmission which has arrived. I maybe be back under it today. I’ll look and see if/what’s blocking access to the clips. Usually they’re a squeeze/pinch to release style

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t even see any of the clips. The steel bumper/receiver hitch fills up the entire cavity and I can see another plastic shell on top of that. So I think Hamfisted is correct, easiest if not only way is to remove the cover. I’m planning to paint all my Eddie Bauer tan to the newer King Ranch accent color, so I’ll take my bumper covers off later this spring. Looks more like milk chocolate or coffee color. Can’t find a paint code on it yet. Might be the Caribou Brown on the new Ford trucks. Anyone know that color please tell me.

981AAEB0-365C-493D-8A89-A27BC45068C5.png

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some YouTube complaints on the Duplicolor flat black not being flat but too shiny to match the original interior trim.
I was concerned about this but as I mentioned above I’d started and committed myself. Actually I’m happy to discover that it is truly a more flat black. The shininess fades away over a week or so. I wasn’t wanting to spray the door panels just so everything matched and honestly I can’t tell a difference in color between dyed and stock panels now after a couple weeks. I so was tempted to add the Java color to some panels like the newer King Ranch F-150’s I’ve seen. But I haven’t found the color yet and not made up my mind where to Java and where to leave black.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To get the bumper step pad off you just remove the two 13mm nuts on each end and pop the pad off. They're those self threading nuts that screw down on a plastic "bolt" shaft that's inserted in the pad. To re-install you just smack it back down in place and re-attach those 13mm nuts onto the shafts. If you can get a 13mm socket or wrench ( Gearwrench FlexHead Box Wrench ? ) on those two nuts from underneath you won't have to remove the bumper, but I couldn't, so I just removed the whole bumper and set it in the grass to avoid scratching the paint to work on it. These are the only fasteners holding the pad on, and they also secure the foam insert in the bumper. There is one harness plug on the driver's side of the bumper to unplug to free the bumper from the Expy once the bumper fasteners are removed.

Rear Bump Step  Pad Nut.JPG
Rear Bumper Step Retain Nut.JPG

Last edited: