Clunk in suspension - rwd / 2wd - {fixed}

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToyOtter

Reaction score
Over the last few months our 2018 RWD Limited (~130k), there developed a clunk underneath. Some passengers, when I'd ask, described it "from the front", others "from the rear." I took it to a local shop which said that they couldn't find anything noticeably loose - took it to another shop and got a similar answer. I had already had it at the dealership to address service bulletin (TSB 20-2253 which supersedes TSB 20-2097) for "Clunk Noise When Shifting Reverse to Drive or Drive to Reverse" (which they didn't fix) and asked them to also look for this clunk, which they didn't - but I did ring up a bill of $300 for "diagnostics" (I hate the dealership). I still need to get this one addressed as it's quite annoying, but only happens when shifting which is usually only once or twice at the beginning/ending of a drive.

Reading around that the Ford struts are notorious for leaking (never any evidence of this) and failing prematurely, I set my sights on replacing those to see if that would address the suspension clunk - I ordered(Rockauto) KYB Struts (340072) for the rear and Motorcraft (ASH85890) for the front (couldn't find a better option). I didn't find any decent options for quickstruts, so ended up reusing mounts and springs and just replacing the struts. Pretty quick job with a lift and air tools - took me around 3 hours having never done it before (had good bench coil compressor). To my surprise, this FIXED the clunk! Also to my surprise, the new struts got rid of some of the top-heavy sway that I had simply chalked up to this big of an SUV.

Still have awful cam-phaser rattle at start-up and the shifting clunk, but finally getting this used vehicle back to its glory! As many of you all on here seem to be 4wd, thought this may be good insight for anyone that encounters this same clunk.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would seriously look to have the cam phasers done. MHO. My 2019 at 35k had phasers and a cam replaced. Don't know at this point in time would quiet the cam phaser rattle would try the cold start flooding to see if this would help. Requires foot on brake and gas pedal to the floor while cranking to engine. This may help oil pressure to the phasers and cam to lubricate on cold start. Just curious if this procedure would help quiet the rattle down.

OP
OP
T

ToyOtter

Reaction score
I would seriously look to have the cam phasers done. MHO. My 2019 at 35k had phasers and a cam replaced. Don't know at this point in time would quiet the cam phaser rattle would try the cold start flooding to see if this would help. Requires foot on brake and gas pedal to the floor while cranking to engine. This may help oil pressure to the phasers and cam to lubricate on cold start. Just curious if this procedure would help quiet the rattle down.
Yea, I try it when I drive it (wife’s ride) - I try to convince myself it helps, but it probably sounds the same and I’m simply trying to justify the extra turning over. She’ll never be convinced to go through the extra 5 second effort, so it only happens once a week or so.

Why recommend getting the phasers done? Doesn’t ford suggest this is simply a nuisance? ;)

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen a failed phaser that was taken out of a 3.5 engine. The pin was gone and the spring was doing nothing. I suspect just being worn creating failure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360