Clunking noise when braking and coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alcgraham

Reaction score
My 2004 Eddie Bauer Edition has started making a clunking noise intermittently in the front when braking to a stop. Nothing else seems strange no noises any other times. Looking for some suggestions as to what to investigate. Thank you!

Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would check the front brakes, maybe lift each side of front end and spin the wheel see if you hear noise. Could also be a wheel bearing or axle issue if 4 x 4.

lwbrown05

Reaction score
Is that the only symptom? Does it pull to one side? Is it only when braking and not when accelerating? How's the alignment? I would check the camber bolts along with the suggestions already given.

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
That is the only symptom. It does not pull to a side at all. It is only when breaking not accelerating. I think the alignment is good. Thanks for the suggestion.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your brakes. Actually pull the pads and inspect them. i had a set that looked good but one pad was cracked. It made clicking /clunking noises when braking.

Rickybobby007

Reaction score
I have an 03 ssv that's doing the same thing, absolutely annoying situation. Have checked all I could think of. If you nail it down I'd be interested as to solution

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this on my '04 Expedition. Everything seemed fine when testing in the garage and the brake pads looked good. Similar to what tommyddsr said as soon as I pulled the caliper I found 1 pad that had failed. The factory brake lining had rusted off the backing plate at 211k miles. Swapped the pads and fixed it. I could not see this until I pulled the caliper off and not only did it make a clunk noise sometimes, but it also made the brakes kinda mushy intermittently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes