Clunking noise when braking and coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwilburth

Reaction score
My 2004 Eddie Bauer Edition has started making a clunking noise intermittently in the front when braking to a stop. Nothing else seems strange no noises any other times. Looking for some suggestions as to what to investigate. Thank you!
My '04 Expedition 4.6l EB (RWD) is doing the same or similar. It makes a think sound after hitting the brakes at low speeds, usually over bumps or uneven terrain, but delayed almost like a relay or actuator engaging... It always "thinks" twice, like something is engaging then disengaging.

Rwilburth

Reaction score
My '04 Expedition 4.6l EB (RWD) is doing the same or similar. It makes a think sound after hitting the brakes at low speeds, usually over bumps or uneven terrain, but delayed almost like a relay or actuator engaging... It always "thinks" twice, like something is engaging then disengaging.
I would like to add...

I just put a new Detroit Axle 12 piece front/rear end kit on it about 8 months ago (upper/lower ball joints, steering end links, sway bar links front and rear, etc) and had to tighten the steering links about a week ago due to play in the steering.... Surprisingly they came VERY loose, scary loose.

Also brand new ceramic pads front and rear, new wheels, alignment, coils, plugs, egr, and a bunch of other shit that cost a fortune.