Code Scanner or Software recommendation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveP

Reaction score
Hello All,

I currently have a really cheesy code reader that is fine for basic stuff and resetting engine codes. I also have a Carista and OBD Auto Doctor on a laptop. But the laptop is about to die and the OBD Auto Doctor is a couple of years old anyways. So I was considering either getting a new scanner or software whenever I replace my laptop. I see that Harbor Freight is clearancing out most of their scanners, not sure why. Trying to stay around $120ish to get a scanner decent enough for all my cars. 2003 Eddie Bauer is my current car but have wife's and daughters cars also.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In that price range and for multiple brands of cars I would highly recommend Blue Driver software and their bluetooth adapter.
It has all the brand unique DTC codes and can look at any module on any vehicle. If it was just for use on a Ford I would say get ForScan for your laptop.

Blue Driver Adapter on Amazon

OP
OP
S

SteveP

Reaction score
In that price range and for multiple brands of cars I would highly recommend Blue Driver software and their bluetooth adapter.
It has all the brand unique DTC codes and can look at any module on any vehicle. If it was just for use on a Ford I would say get ForScan for your laptop.

Blue Driver Adapter on Amazon

Wow, over 29,000 reviews! THat looks like exaclty what I am looking for. Thanks! Do you happen to know if it can do "dealer options" like the Carista can? For example with the Carista if you have the paid subscription you can change dealer options on newer cars like auto windows, lock on start etc etc. Not a hug deal but curious and I didn't see that listed but not exactly sure what its called. Thanks again.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a Ford you would need ForScan or Ford's IDS software to re-code most features on Fords. Carista won't do it on Fords, GM, Chryslers. Carista will work on most Asian and European cars though. But Blue Driver is a one time fee and it can read all the modules on almost every car make and includes free updates.