codes P0401 & P1131

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcat

Reaction score
Need to get emmissions done and have these 2 codes. Could cleanint the egr valve more than likely solve the 401 code. And which o2 sensor do i change? Any tips or tricks or writeups on replacing these parts would also be appreciated.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
p1131 is sensor 1 bank 1 meaning pasenger side upstream, but it could also mean you have a vacuum leak. p0401s most likely cause is the dpfe sensor that comes off the egr tube or is part of the egr depending on the year. some early 4.6 and 5.4 can also have a problem with the egr passages in the neck between the t/b and the intake getting plugged with carbon.

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting those codes also, I replaced my maf sensor, replaced every piece of vacuum tubing that was rubber, replaced my intake manifold (had coolant leak) i may as well try replacing the dfpe sensor next

OP
OP
F

Fastcat

Reaction score
It was my dfpe sensor. My mechanic said both of those codes go hand in hand. Then he popped my hood and said i have the original (metal) dfpe sensor on there and they are notorious for corroding in the inside and the new ones (replacement) are plastic instead of metal. He also said to either give hime 150 bucks plus tax and he would fix it or go to the junkyard and pull one off of any ford car and stick it in my pocket and replace it myself. Well i choice to do it myself and the light went off.

M0nika

Reaction score
New here! Couple of questions for clarification purposes. 1) @Fastcat, you went to a pick n pull junk yard, found the part on the correct year(s) model of your vehicle and just replaced it? Nice discount! ️ 2) How did you learn to recognize what you are looking for? My dad lives in another state. His health is interfering with some of his memory and cognitive abilities to explain to me as I learn to be my own mechanic. Yes, I'm a lot older to do this "on my own" learning. Don't care! Daddy only taught me to not be a dumb blonde to a certain extent and did not encourage my interest in engines. So I'm ignorant to a point. I have 3 codes coming at me. P1131, P0401 and P0125. My alternator shop mechanic said to just drive the truck till it dies. Don't want to do that. I REALLY LOVE my Expedition! So, I'm genuinely asking for help! 3) when does the fact it's an Eddie Bauer edition make a difference in engine maintenance and care?

Also, on a side note, my window switches have quit working on the driver door. Think it's my master switch. My sunroof controls do not work. My rearview side mirrors adjustment does not control the mirrors and that fancy AI thing has a mind of its own so I got to fix that. Then, I took my truck to budget brakes and found out replacement of both front and back braking systems are needed. $1100! Brake pads, rotors, and calipers for the front and just pads and rotors on the back.

when I was growing up, daddy was military and we had these DIY service bays we could do all things automotive in. When the guys let me in, I was able to use tools and even paint my exterior of the car for a nominal fee. Is there something available like this in non-military (civilian) communities? I am divorced and really looking forward to the freedom of building my curiosity with true experience under the hood.

M0nika

Reaction score
@riphip, my Eddie Bauer is a 2003 and has over 200,000 less than or nearing 250,000 miles on it. Not exactly sure of the miles. I can get the exact miles later if that is truly needed and a guesstimate won't work.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop the threshold plates at the bottom of the doorway on both sides. I use a set of plastic non-marring pry bars to do a lot of this 'popping loose' jobs you can get on Amazon pretty cheap. There may be water getting in there & messing with the wiring. Also pull the front kick panels on both sides and check for water dripping on electrical/fuse panels. Earlier models were known to have problems with leakage from bottom of windshield & drains on moon/sun roofs.