Coil Over Shocks, Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have searched the internet high and low, and haven't found that much information on what people are using for shocks/struts on there 3rd Gen Expeditions. My Expy does not have the L.L.S. No air suspension. Currently have 110,00 on the clock. I have used spring compressors before with out any problems. Im looking for a comfortable compliant ride.

It seems as though there are several options for 3rd Gen's. I have come across strutmasters brand, monroe, rancho quick lifts, and bilsteins.

My question is, has anyone ran any of the above mentioned shocks/struts with a better ride than going with stock setup? Is it necessary to replace the coil spring? Better to buy the quick strut setups, or re-use stock coil spring?

I know this is a laundry list of questions. I appreciate the interest and the replies.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the front shocks on mine when I get my next quarterly bonus. I am currently planning to go with the Monroe shocks, as I have used them on previous SUV's (both Tahoe and Expedtion) with very good results. Plus they are relatively economical.

Rancho is really meant for off-road and/or lifted vehicles. Bilstein is a performance brand, and you will have to pay for that! Monroe seems to yield a good on-road ride but not allow too much float. Plus they hold up a lot better than the OEM shocks!

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll also be looking to replace my front struts, which are leaking, in the next month or so. Look forward to hearing what others recommend. I'll post back here when I've made my choice as well.

OP
OP
P

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So...is it best to replace the coil spring on our vehicles setup, or buy the quick-strut shocks and spring all in one piece?

Is the only benefit to a quick-strut the ease of installation, or do you gain ride quality with a new coil spring?

Does anyone know how a Monroe Shock/Strut compares to a Bilstein Shock/Strut? I know this is a terrible question to ask. Any info would be appreciated.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So...is it best to replace the coil spring on our vehicles setup, or buy the quick-strut shocks and spring all in one piece?

Is the only benefit to a quick-strut the ease of installation, or do you gain ride quality with a new coil spring?

Does anyone know how a Monroe Shock/Strut compares to a Bilstein Shock/Strut? I know this is a terrible question to ask. Any info would be appreciated.

GREAT question! I will also be doing this same thing so I'm glad you posted! I was looking at the Strutmaster kit since it includes Eibach springs.

As far as the Bilstein vs. Monroe, I had that very same thing on my 2002 Expy. They were shocks, not struts but if the comparison is valid, the Bilstiens were stiffer and more controlled, especially with a load. Monroe was ok, better than stock but not as controlled with the load as with the Bilsteins. By load I mean packed for vacation, roor rack, wheelless trailer rack and 5 or 6 of us with the dog.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Unless you think you have a problem with the springs, I wouldn't replace them. If you want to lower the vehicle or change the stiffness, then of course you can. If all you want is new shocks, the shock normally comes with the lower spring cradle and you reuse the upper spring cradle, I think. The quick-strut is purely for ease of installation/lightening of your wallet.

OP
OP
P

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you think you have a problem with the springs, I wouldn't replace them. If you want to lower the vehicle or change the stiffness, then of course you can. If all you want is new shocks, the shock normally comes with the lower spring cradle and you reuse the upper spring cradle, I think. The quick-strut is purely for ease of installation/lightening of your wallet.

Cool, thanks. I was beginning to think the quick-strut was just going to drain the wallet.

I think I might be leaning towards Bilsteins and re-use my stock coil spring. I found summitracing.com sells just the shock for $75.00 each. Bummer it will take twice as long to change out the shock/strut using a spring compressor.

Would it be a wise idea to buy new bushings that would go on the new shock, instead of re-using the old bushings?

OP
OP
P

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone used the strutmaster setup, from strutmasters.com? Im wondering if there setup is worth it to have brand new coil springs.

I am stuck between installing Bilsteins and re-using my coil springs or going with the strutmasters setup. Supposedly the strutmasters come with Eibach springs.

Thanks forum members.

OP
OP
P

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got done getting my Bilstein 4600 series shocks installed. These are great. I am glad I went with the Bilsteins. Re-used the oem springs. My oem's (108k on them) must have been pretty bad. I hit the brakes after the install and just about went through the windshield.

Stopping is greatly improved. The ride feels more secure. Cruising down the highway it rides comfortable and not harsh at all.

Joel

Reaction score
lift 2010 expedition

Is there anyway to lift a 2010 expedition limited with LLS. wether it be a leveling kit or a retrofit kit to replace the LLS.